Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamCanada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
I was recently using my backlit keyboard of pretty much the first time and I realized that middle right side of the keyboard is slightly dimmer that the other side. I can still see the keys and its not a huge difference but its enough to be noticeable and somewhat distracting.

Does anyone else have this issue?

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah, I am not impressed with the backlit keyboard on my unibody MBP at all. Some keys are brighter than others and waaay to much light seeps through the open cracks below the keys. The backlighting on the old Macbook Pro's keyboard was far superior. Apple dropped the ball with the new setup.

PolySciSurfer

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
California
Ya, mine kind of varies throughout. I get some light seeping through keys here and there. But that's only when looking at an angle. If I look down directly over the keyboard it's perfect.

AdamCanada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Would anyone recommend taking it in to see if the genius could/would do anything to fix or replace it. Mines not horrible but it still gets on my nerves cause I notice it every time I turn on the backlight.

AdamCanada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Im not talking about the light leaking. The actual LED is dimmer on some than the others.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Why does anyone need the backlight? Just learn to touch type!

I leave my backlight off at all times.

duffmanth

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
Ya, mine kind of varies throughout. I get some light seeping through keys here and there. But that's only when looking at an angle. If I look down directly over the keyboard it's perfect.

This is exactly what's going on with my new 15" MBP. When you look directly over the keyboard everything is perfect. When you look at it from a certain angle the light leaks out more from below the E key, it can be kinda distracting. I was gonna take it back, but what's the point after reading about so many people with the same issues. Whose not to say the next one won't be the same or worse. I talked to Apple support a few times and they said this is common to some extent on most MBP's. It stills needs to be fixed though considering how much these machines cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.