backlit keyboard trouble

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by valiechemicalie, Nov 17, 2008.

1. valiechemicalie macrumors member

When i push the F5 or F6 key there is the sign of the backlit but with a forbidden sign and i wont turn the lights on...
    What is wrong?

2. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

The backlight needs to be active before you can change the brightness. Put your hand over the ambient light sensor (which I believe to be near to the iSight) to activate the keyboard backlight, and then you can adjust the brightness.

3. valiechemicalie thread starter macrumors member

Thnx, but you cant activate backlight when the macbook thinks there is enough light?

4. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Nope. I think Apple designed this feature strictly for use in the dark and so when the MacBook perceives enough light it kills the backlight. Which in a way is good because if you were outside on a bright day and didn't know the backlight was on your could drain your battery faster than necessary.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

There should be a key that turns the back-lighting on or off. Make sure it's on, then you can change the brightness.

6. valiechemicalie thread starter macrumors member

where is it?

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I have a 2006 Macbook Pro and it's right next to the buttons that make the back-lighting go up and down in brightness. The symbol just looks like a minus sign. I don't know if the new Macbooks have it or not.

8. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

They do not, neither do the new evolution MacBook Pros.

9. valiechemicalie thread starter macrumors member