Backlit keyboard won't turn off after Lion update.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by calvinc, Jul 20, 2011.

1. calvinc macrumors member

Automatically illuminate is unchecked. However the keyboard is always lit up and I can't turn it off other than manually reducing the brightness to zero (the F5 key).

Is this a known software issue? Please help. Thank you.

2. psuser macrumors newbie

i got same problem

3. calvinc thread starter macrumors member

Tried that. I tried reinstalling as well. Didn't solve the problem.

4. dsiim macrumors newbie

5. calvinc, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

calvinc thread starter macrumors member

So I went to the Apple Store and tested out their computers. Each one behaved the same way. It turns out that it's NOT a software issue. Apple has merely changed how they interpret the "automatically illuminate..." feature.

With Snow Leopard:
    If Automatically illuminate is unchecked it means always keep the light off.

If Automatically illuminate is checked it means only illuminate in low light. Therefore if the ambient light is low, then the keyboard light will be on.

With Lion:
    If Automatically illuminate is unchecked it means "Do not automatically illuminate in low light" Therefore it will always remain on even in bright ambient light. There is no logic as to why people would need the light on when the ambient light is high. But that's how Apple wanted it.

If Automatically illuminate is checked, just like Snow Leopard, it will only illuminate in low light. Therefore if the ambient is low, then the keyboard light will be on.

The issue:
    For those of you who have Lion and have Automatically illuminate checked, by definition it will automatically turn off the keyboard light unless you are in a low ambient light environment. Therefore if you have Automatically illuminate checked and the keyboard light is always on, that means your ambient light is too low. Bring it outdoor/shine some light into the sensor, I guarantee you the keyboard light will now be off.

Solution
    If you are constantly in a low ambient light environment and want the keyboard light off, the only to do it is to manually press the F5 key to reduce the keyboard light brightness to zero.

6. nervouk macrumors member

nervouk

That is strange, but thanks for the advice. Just like the reversed scrolling, my brain will eventually adjust to Apple's new logic.

How much of a battery drain is the keyboard backlight anyway? Aesthetically, I don't have a problem with it being on all the time.

7. cool11, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

8. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

sorry i don't think that is the solution...or maybe for my case

every time my display goes into sleep and i wake it, the backlit keyboard comes on.....hella annoying

9. calvinc thread starter macrumors member

Do you have Automatically illuminate checked or unchecked? If it's unchecked, it will always be on. Every computer at the Apple Store did the same thing. It's a feature.

10. nervouk macrumors member

nervouk

Whatever the reason for the setting change, for the past few days I've just been turning it on & off with the keyboard switch (F5-6). It hasn't caused me any angst.

11. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

i have tried it both checked and unchecked. it stays on regardless.

the thing about your logic is...of course every computer would do that...they ALL have lion installed. if this is a lion ERROR...it would be replicated on all machines with lion. Therefore you cannot be 100% certain if its a feature.

12. calvinc thread starter macrumors member

True may be it's not a feature. But at least you know you installed Lion properly and there is nothing wrong with your computer.

Like I said if it's on when checked and unchecked then your ambient light must be low.

13. apveenstra macrumors newbie

On my MacBook Pro the keyboard light won't come on at all.

The light sensor is working since the screen dims in low light, and the F5 and F6 keys work since I get visual feedback on the brightness of the backlight on my screen (just like you get with the F11 and F12 keys for volume) :confused: