Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
anyone see these coming out in June ??

http://matias.ca/aluminum/backlit/

That is my dream come true! I always wished  made a version like that. If this product is real, it's a good thing. I imagine the Keyboard with Numeric Pad will be discontinued this year. They also have a space gray version for pre-order. I think I'm gonna go ahead.

EDIT: I preordered!

Last edited:

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
This is a fantastic looking keyboard, but I don't see anything about it being mechanical. If it's not mechanical, I'm not interested! Sad to see that great design go to waste

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
I can't understand what people find so incredible about a backlit keyboard, it just hurts my eyes to look at it.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
anyone see these coming out in June ??
I was ready to order a few of the non-backlit versions but am holding off because, unless there are significant upgrades to Apple desktops, we are moving away from Apple over the coming year or so.
I can't understand what people find so incredible about a backlit keyboard, it just hurts my eyes to look at it.
To each his own. If you use a keyboard in a dark room it's very useful to see what you're doing. For example in an edit room, or color correction room, the keyboard is not for touch typing but for selecting edit tools.
i prefer a wired keyboard. NO battery cost.
There's nothing wrong with preferring a wired keyboard but I appreciate the ability to move around a room and still control a workstation, plus having less wires makes for a cleaner, less cluttered desktop.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

It depends on your setup. My keyboard is in a dark place where the monitor won't illuminate it. Backlight would be useful for me.

Although if I were to buy a backlit keyboard I would just get a nice mechanical keyboard.

This keyboard looks nice but Apple should be building it and shipping it with iMacs imo.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Same here, no logical reason other then I tend to like them and I don't have to worry about buying batteries or charging them up

My assumption (could be wrong) is that you can keep the Matias keyboard plugged in similar to the magic keyboard. I'll know for sure when mine delivers in half a year ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.