Backlit keyboard

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
I was always a fan of razer keyboards as they offer great deal of customization/remapping and LED adjustment but OSX just hates razor and Razor doesn't care to make them work smoothly so here I am looking for something else.

Any recommendations?
Must be backlit with plenty of adjustment, preferably slim and needs to have key mapping features.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
I like the CODE keyboard by wasd. Probably not as customizable as you’d like but you can get it backlit and it is a great board. Definitely not as gamer centric as Razor, which I like.

colodane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Look into the Logitech K811. I’ve just sold my one that I never really used. I bought it for my iPad but it’s supposed to work with Macs as well.
I also have been using the Logitech K811 for a few years now. First on a 2011 iMac and now with a 2017. It works GREAT with Macs. Also occasionally use it with my iPad and Apple TV. Very effective backlight. Automatically senses when your hands are near the keyboard and turns on with a user-selectable backlight brightness. Have been getting about 6 weeks of heavy daily usage between recharges.

Highly Recommended !

Reactions: carbontune

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Another K811 user here. Great keyboard - I use it to switch between Mac mini, rMBP and iPad Pro at the tap of a button. I don't know if it supports key mapping though - I just run it natively on MacOS without any Logitech software.

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Can you set the light to always on? I hate when it goes on or off. OCD thing lol

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
I was always a fan of razer keyboards as they offer great deal of customization/remapping and LED adjustment but OSX just hates razor and Razor doesn't care to make them work smoothly so here I am looking for something else.

Any recommendations?
Must be backlit with plenty of adjustment, preferably slim and needs to have key mapping features.
As a fellow razer user, I must agree that the driver support has gotten worse and worse. I unfortunately use an MMO mouse when I play World of Warcraft with my girlfriend, and no one else seems to have a Mac driver for an MMO mouse. That said, I have had relatively few issues with my iMac Pro and a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Razer Man'o'war, and Razer Naga Trinity. Here's hoping that Razer Synpase 3 for Mac (if it ever comes to Mac) will be better.

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
As a fellow razer user, I must agree that the driver support has gotten worse and worse. I unfortunately use an MMO mouse when I play World of Warcraft with my girlfriend, and no one else seems to have a Mac driver for an MMO mouse. That said, I have had relatively few issues with my iMac Pro and a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Razer Man'o'war, and Razer Naga Trinity. Here's hoping that Razer Synpase 3 for Mac (if it ever comes to Mac) will be better.
You must be one of the lucky ones :)
I got the blackwidow ultimate stealth and naga chroma and I have to force quit the app so it resyncs because it just changes profiles out of the blue.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
You must be one of the lucky ones :)
I got the blackwidow ultimate stealth and naga chroma and I have to force quit the app so it resyncs because it just changes profiles out of the blue.
Reinstall razer synapse. It fixed issues like that for me. I had to install it twice to get it functioning properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.