Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdm111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Hi guys, Just got my new MacBook Pro.
I have a problem with the keyboard. I can manually get it to light up with F5/F6. but it wont light on its own when its dark. the display dims in darkness so the sensor is working.
Thanks

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Look in System Preferences under "Keyboard". There is an option to have it automatically illuminate when it's dark. Note that if you manually force the keyboard to zero brightness using F5/F6, it disables this option in the system preferences and you won't get any auto-lighting. Therefore, you have to leave it on at least 1 bar of brightness and then the light sensor will determine when it is bright enough to disable the illumination. I have found unfortunately that when I do this, I think the computer turns on the backlight much too early (turns it on when it's still plenty bright in the room) thus I just work the brightness manually.

Also I think that the backlit keyboard is too bright except for the lowest setting, and only really useful in very dim/pitch black situations. Therefore I just use the keys to turn it on/turn it off. I've actually noticed that the screen brightness control is too sensitive to light changes as well and so I don't use that auto feature anymore either which is too bad because I really liked that feature on my PBG4.

imtka

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
hi! REALLY big problem, only the center of my keyboard lights up, the rest, is dim or not illuminating at all
Whats wrong??

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Yes, this sounds like a software issue, which can be fixed under the System Preferences. Something is not set right, but everything hardware-wise should be working OK.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
hi! REALLY big problem, only the center of my keyboard lights up, the rest, is dim or not illuminating at all
Whats wrong??

id wager thats gonna need to be looked at by a mac genius and hopefully fixed on site...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.