Backlit Wireless Keyboard in the Works?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by -Ryan-, May 4, 2011.

1. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

From 9to5mac:

"Here’s something interesting we’ve found in the new ’11 iMacs: The Keyboard System Pref contains the same option to illuminate the keyboard that MacBook Pros have. Previous iMacs as well as all other Macs without lit keyboards don’t have this option.

Many Macs without lit keyboards have ambient light sensors to know how bright the screen should be lit but those machines don’t offer keyboard brightness settings.

Could Apple be preparing or have delayed a wireless keyboard with backlighting? I can say with 100% certainty that Apple would have a winner if they released something like this, at least in my home. Bonus points if it has a built in trackpad

On the other hand, Apple could have just made a rare mistake, perhaps copying one too many of kext settings from the Sandy Bridge MacBook Pros perhaps."

I'd love one of these, depending on a decent battery life of course.

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I wouldn't be surprised if apple releases backlit WIRED keyboards. Unfortunately, unless apple can come up with a more elegant way to charge the Wireless KB (micro USB, hell even a dock connector) I doubt we'll see a wireless backlit KB. The battery life on them currently sucks, I wouldn't want them to drain any faster.

3. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I have to agree with reebzor. As cool as it sounds, if they can't find a way to use a charger or some sort of different system with a couple AA batteries it'll be a bigger headache than its worth.

Also, when are you really using a desktop computer in a "lower light" setting that would create a need for backlit keys? I only use my backlights in almost pitch black settings. I find that in low light or well lit areas my backlights actually washout the keyboard on MBP and make it harder to see the keys.

4. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

This would be great news if they do manage to release a wireless one. Maybe they can go back to the 3 AA batteries or even 4 to maximize the battery life.