Backpack Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by djlutzker, Jun 1, 2010.

1. djlutzker macrumors member

Hello everyone! A friend of mine that lives in US is travelling to Buenos Aires in two weeks, so, i asked him to bring me a backpack for my future macbook (I have recently sold my 2008 15" MPB. I think i am going for the 2010 13" MBP). The candidates that i like are:

Speck AftPack

http://www.speckproducts.com/products/aftpack-backpack/notebooks-up-to-17/170

Or

Incase Backpack

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/backpack-cl55092

I also accept online shops suggestions and other backpacks too. I prefer something like the quality of JanSport (have my first since 2007 in perfect conditions)

Thanks!

PS: The AftPack doesnt even exist here (Argentina) and the Incase Backpack is about U$S: 230.- ($ 99 @ US :cool:)

:apple:

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I have the Incase backpack in silver, and I absolutely love it. Plenty of pockets for everything you need, and you can't beat the faux fur padding for your MacBook. And it's a lot better looking than the Speck, IMO.

3. iamvexed macrumors member

I just ordered the bbp industries backpack for my 13" MBP. I did a lot of research, and if you check online, there are nothing but glowing reviews of it. You can get a look at it here:

http://www.bbpbags.com/industriesbackpack.html

Best of luck!

4. xxwaznxx macrumors newbie

well if you want other to consider
    although slightly expensice the two backpack i'm looking at are
    the timbuk2 hal
    and the bbp industries bag

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

6. iamvexed macrumors member

Hey, thegoldenmackid, that's awesome! I was nearly sold on a Northface Recon, and after seeing a couple of comments about bbp bags being awesome, I found your review. It helped my decision a ton! Thanks!

7. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

I also like the Loop 8 which I saw in the Apple store!!

8. Morley7 macrumors member

I also just ordered this. Seems promising.

9. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

I have the 4 year old version of the Booq Boa. It's been a great pack that I've literally carried all over the world :)

It's been comfortable and shows no wear and tear at all.

*EDIT*
    The latest version has a DSLR camera slot that I wish mine had!

10. djlutzker thread starter macrumors member

OMG! Fell in love! But its out of my budget! I can also carry my Nikon D60 on it :eek:.

Thanks for all the replies guys, but i can not make me like the bbp :(

I was also thinking of Lowepro. Ill check them out.

11. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

I also got the bbp industries backpack. It's awesome!

12. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind I've had mine 4+ years. Unless you tire of the bag, you shouldn't have to buy another one anytime soon. It will long outlast your computer. Something to think about when looking at the cost.

13. kelly528 macrumors newbie

One thing to keep in mind: Any bag branded with a name associated with electronics, ie Samsonite, etc. screams 'I HAVE A LAPTOP INSIDE ME' which may not be a message you want to advertise in case of theft!

Not sure if you can find Dakine backpacks where you are located but in my experience they are hands down the best, most durable and longest lasting bags out there. My average backpack lifespan was 8 months (textbooks haha) from kindergarten til grade 9 when I got my first Dakine backpack, which has lasted 5 years and looks bright and new with the occasional washing.

14. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Thank you! I checked out your website, (very nice by the way), read the review and placed an order right away.

15. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Glad you liked. I'll be giving my thoughts of the Loop 8 shortly, it's one hell of a bag as well.

17. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

I also bought my BBP because of your review. Thanks and keep up the good work!

18. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

I like the ones with the short buckled horizontal straps. The one that I use doesn't have one and I've contemplated adding one to it. It adds support and a feeling of security I guess.

I found a Gregory bag made as some kind of promo for Yahoo. It has the Yahoo emblem on it and the zipper pulls. I've tried to find another one but can't and Gregory doesn't sell any anymore that I can find. Tis a pity because other than the small strap, this bag is perfect. I've traveled to the UK and Hawaii with this bag and my MBP, movies, books, shirt/shorts, snacks, etc and it's held all of it and still looks great after rolling around under the seat in front of me. I don't know why they don't make these (even without the Yahoo logo) as it's been a great, no excellent bag!

That InCase bag looks good. Some of the things are just too damn expensive. Sure, they may last a long time but jeez, that price should make them last forever and be bulletproof too.

I used to use messenger type bags but with the plane Nazi's I'd imagine them hard to carry now and the possibility of over packing one would be higher...

19. radicalcentrist macrumors member

I have the BBP Hamptons Hybrid, and it is fantastic. I love that I can wear it as a pack or sling it over my shoulder as a bag, plus, with the zip pocket/slide, it fits on top of my carry-on perfectly.

http://www.bbpbags.com/hamptons.html

20. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

I just had someone ask me for a roller bag that would be like the incase bag in that the MBP would be held small side down. Their current bag holds their MBP wide side down making it harder to pull down the rows of airplanes...

Does anyone have any ideas? I saw a Targus one that I sent a link to but they want something that 'looks better'...

TIA...

Oh, they don't want a very thick roller, just one that might hold a few books or magazines, mouse, pens, iPod, iPhone, chargers, etc...

21. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Loop 8?

Any photo's or links for the Loop 8 bag? I can't find info on it anywhere.

Thanks

22. djlutzker thread starter macrumors member

Loop Bags

23. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Which bag of all of these is the roomiest? I'll be going off to school in the fall, and I want a place to stash both my 13" MB, and a textbook or two, if possible. All these packs look really nice, but which one is the roomiest? Thanks guys :D

24. Bratboy macrumors member

I am normally a Messenger kind of bag kinda guy, but upon getting my new MBP, and wanting to carry it all over the place with me, the one that's caught my eye is the SwissGear backpack. Fits well, roomy, and has a lifetime warranty.

http://www.swissgear.eu/product.asp?CatID=1146685

25. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Oh god, those are hiddeous!