Backpack for 17" Unibody MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmdslick, Jan 24, 2011.

1. cmdslick macrumors newbie

Hello all,

This is my first post to MacRumors although I have been reading the postings for a few weeks now. I jumped ship from Windows just recently as I have been borrowing a friend's MacBook for a little while now, and I have just purchased a 17" MacBook Pro i7 2.66 signaling a significant change for me as I have been an avid Windows fan and follower for quite some time. But I have seen the light and have made the jump.

So as I have been addressing my various needs for my new equipment, I am still at a loss for a good backpack that will fit my new laptop and my needs. I would like something more compact, but yet has enough pockets for my accessories (Magic Mouse, Power adapter, etc). I had been looking at the Ogio Epic backpack, but I do know it is one of the larger on the market. However it does provide some of the best protection that I have seen.

Does anyone have experience with one like this? Recommendations?

Thanks.

2. macuserjhs macrumors regular

Incase backpacks are really good, I dont have one but If I were to get a backpack for my laptop it would be the Incase Nylon bag. What else will you be putting in the bag besides your laptop?

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I heard incase makes a good pack that fits the 17 inch snug and leaves room for a few accessories.

Stay away from the Targus XL and similar "large" backpacks if your looking for slim action. Many of the packs that work with 17" machines in mind cater to the full blown desktop replacements that are available, meaning the slim profile of apples 17" don't fit as well. If you are looking for expandability then, the XL will carry pretty much whatever you want (bricks, bodies, that sort of thing).

Some 15 inch packs will work as well, But may be a tight vertical fit.

4. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

This one is pretty cool. Some of the action shots show people holding it and it doesnt look that big. Some of the other shots show how much stuff fits in it,, amazing.

Not much protection but you can get a neoprene case.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/aaa5/#tabs

This is the one I plan to get if the new MBP ends up bing the same size. Expensive but great reviews. Its both a messenger and a backpack. Check out the manufactor website for additional colors and videos of how it works.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/T...fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MTA4MjU1OTk&s=topSellers

5. cmdslick thread starter macrumors newbie

As far as contents go, besides accessories for the laptop. A journal, couple books, pad of paper, writing utensils, keys, external HD, various papers/documents, business cards, some miscellaneous other things.

This will be a desktop replacement solution as I travel and will be using it as my main workplace "desk" of sorts.

I checked out InCase but their MacBook Pro 17" category doesn't show any backpacks. ???

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it.

6. Batman Sucks macrumors newbie

Batman Sucks

I've used a lot of bags over the years, but the ones that I always seem to keep and keep using are the ones from Booq.

You didn't specify a price amount (which seems to be where everyone hesitates with Booq), but a solid Booq bag will last you for a long time and provide good protection and storage

http://www.booqbags.com/17-inch-macbook-pro-bags

I am also a pretty big fan of Crumpler bags, but mainly I use that for photography equipment. There bags are fun and sturdy, but aren't all as understated, if that's something you are looking for.

7. Shareen macrumors newbie

I've heard great things of Incase. They have a lot of collections of backpacks and they are an awesome offer.

8. f2002q macrumors newbie

The one I use is the Tom Bihn Brain Bag with size 1 Brain Cell. This bag has enough room for 2 laptops if you want !!!

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0104

It's a bit pricey, but the saying "you get what you pay for" definitely applies here.

9. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

I'm looking into this bag for when I hopefully buy my first macbook pro when the new ones come out. assuming the new 17" will have the same-ish dimensions.

be.ez vertigo

10. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

The Boa flo Xl is the exact bag I've been looking for. Holds both the MBP 17 and a DSLR camera. But the $199 price tag kills it. :(

11. ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

Go to Brenthaven.com I've used a Brenthaven 15" backpack for over 6 years now and its still just as functional as the day I bought it. And it offers the best protection for a laptop around. I live in LA and I have no clue what an umbrella is and even when its raining hard and my dumb ass is stuck with out an umbrella I never worry about my laptop, its dry every time.

12. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

13. dKran macrumors member

14. vnle macrumors 6502

I have this one for my mac and it works wonderfully well. It's very comfortable, has a seperate padded compartment for the mbp, and holds a lot of stuff (being a college student, it means several notebooks/portable external/change of clothes/cables/power adapter/mouse/everyday accessories :p)

15. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I have one from the North Face and I really like it.