Backpack for every day use + camping < US 150

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mamcx, Oct 7, 2012.

1. mamcx macrumors regular

I like to buy multi-purpose stuff. I need a backpack for camping that also can use for everyday purpose in the city, don't like it to look like a camping backpack, ie: I could use it to go to a customer meeting, because I travel with it to some cities for direct support, and not looking like I will setup the camp tent there ;). Good quality - I don't wanna to buy another next year!- In the range of US 50-150.

The main purpose is that work for camping and hiking, something light (<=2 days). I'm 1.8 mt tall. Climate is 15-35 celsius in my zones.. Can store a 13" macbook.

I look at http://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-V...F8&qid=1349633058&sr=1-3&keywords=maxpedition but have a hard time understanding how big is it, I don't wanna it to small or big like the traditional camping Backpack.

2. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

One thought...

The backpack you mentioned is 46 L, which is big enough to hold camping gear (nothing too bulky, though), might be a little big for just a laptop. I really like GoLite backpacks since they can be compacted, but the new models aren't being released until November. You can check out this REI pack, though: it's a similar size to the one you want, and a little more stylish:

www.rei.com/product/827116/rei-lookout-40-pack-mens

3. mamcx thread starter macrumors regular

Look very good. Any idea where I can look about how the capacity relate to the storage?

I could wait until november, I want to go for camping in December

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I'm very happy with REI packs but they sometimes run on the more expensive end.

Still, I do like the look of that pack you are considering from REI. If your budget really is $150, I'm sure you can get a laptop specific pack for under $50 and that camping specific pack you are considering for $99. For instance, Office Depot has 170 packs under $50, including the targus groove which costs $39.

5. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Best way to figure that out is to go to a store that sells backpacks and try them out. Once you get a sense for the different sizes, you can buy whatever you like online.

40L is pretty small for 2 days unless you're traveling in a group. You'll have to put your sleeping pad and sleeping bag on the outside, so you won't have much room for a tent. That might be okay for you... I usually only bring a tarp to sleep under... but sometimes you need a tent.

I also wouldn't want to do much hiking in a pack like that. The smaller packs tend to put more weight on your shoulders (not on your hips) which gets exhausting. But for short trips you'll be fine.

Of course, these may all be sacrifices you're willing to make if you want one pack for two very different purposes.

6. lopoz macrumors regular

7. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

Comparison shopping

As one of the previous posters said, your best bet is to see a pack in store to see how much gear it can hold. You could fit a sleeping bag in there that only takes 5L (and would be warm enough for the temps you mentioned), but it would have to be one that's pretty compressible. I can fit all my gear in a 50L bag, but I use a ton of ultralight stuff, and have been tweaking my system for a couple of years (Also, you wouldn't want to carry more than 25 lbs with the REI bag). Of course, I also use a separate bag for my laptop, but I do understand the merits of finding multiple uses for one item :)

8. mamcx thread starter macrumors regular

Can you share what pack and a idea of the kind of gear? I will start this hobby almost from zero, so I don't have legacy stuff to worry about (except a very crappy tent 4+ persons, but I will replace it only when settle the kind the places I will visit more. Here in my country the hammocks are popular so I could later opt for that instead)