backpack for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gvsbdisco, Apr 30, 2008.

1. gvsbdisco macrumors newbie

Hi Folks
    I'd appreciate any recommendations for a backpack for my MBP.

I walk to and from work every day in a variety of weather (-20 C to +30 C) including snow, rain and high humidity. I typically carry:

1. 15" MBP
    2. power supply
    3. ipod
    4. lunch
    5. change of clothes (usually just a shirt but sometimes pants as well)
    6. notebook
    7. assignments to grade
    8. water bottle

So I need something:

1. large
    2. comfortable
    3. weather resistant

I also plan to travel alot with the pack so durability and quality are necessities.

I don't mind spending a lot of money to get the right pack. The two I have noticed that might do the trick are the Booq Boa 3 and the Tom Bihn Brain Bag. The Booq looks a little over-architected for my taste (too many compartments etc) and the Tom Bihn design looks a bit tired. I've never seen either of these bags in person so they are tough to evaluate. Also, I'm not limiting my decision to these two bags but they represent what I have found that may meet my requirements.

Any thoughts about any packs (including the two mentioned above) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I use this backpack along with an Incase sleeve for my MBP. This backpack is HUGE! It's really sturdy and it looks great. I carry my MBP+sleeve, power adapter+cable, AP Biology book (~2 inches thick), a bunch of papers, pens+pencils, etc. and there's still plenty of room left.

3. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

4. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

i have a targus chicago:
    http://targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=TCG650

its really been great, has a but load of space for my MBP, a water bottle holder.

only thing is, im not sure "how" weather resistant it is. im sure its decent. It has rained lightly several times while ive been outside, and no damage at all.

5. eyespii macrumors 6502

get the booq. hands down the best constructed bag I've ever used. Sexy looking too.

I've got the older boog boa backpack, and love it. Can't bring myself to drop $200 on the new bag though.

6. gvsbdisco thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone for the replies so far. Another one that I have come across that looks good is the Spire Torq....anyone have experience with that pack?

http://www.spireusa.com/products/TQ7.htm

thanks
    mike

7. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

$200 on a backpack is a little excessive for your needs imo. if you have the money to blow then go for it i guess im sure its a kickass backpack. hell it better be for that much money. id definitely suggest trying to see your choices in person before you buy though.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have a Victorinox backpack. fits everything I have: 2 Notebooks, writing utensils, 17" MBP, 3 prong charger, extra battery, iPod, headphones, sun glasses, extra contacts and solution, cell phone, iPod cable, phone charger, and 2.5" external HDD. I also have a water bottle in water pouch on the outside. If I feel I need my cirumaural headphones fit also.

I also use a Neoprene sleeve for the cushioning, although the bag already has a pouch (which I don't use).

It cost me about $150 for the bag. It's worth it!

9. skylerdavid macrumors newbie

I have a BumBakPak, and I love it.

It's pretty big ( as my friends have noted out :eek: ) but I love it anyways. Tons of room, and I can use it as a back pack or a messenger bag, whatever i feel like.

http://www.bbpbags.com/

10. wing70301 macrumors newbie

I was in the same situation you were. I needed a nice backpack for my MBP that would protect it from the elements as well as from bumps and drops. I decided on a Tom Bihn Brain Bag (with Brain Cell, Freudian Slip, and Snake Charmer) and couldn't be happier. The Brain Cell offers great protection from drops and bumps and will fit over a MBP nice and tight. The neat thing is that the Brain Cell attaches to some hooks inside the Brain Bag, so it doesn't get jossled (is that a real word?) around. The Brain Bag is pretty big. Just recently, I went to a business conference for three days. I decided to use my Brain Bag to store everything. This is what I was able to carry:

- 1 pair of pants
    - 4 shirts (2 t-shirts and 2 polo shirts)
    - 3 pairs of socks
    - 3 pairs boxers
    - 1 pair of shorts
    - 1 Toiletry bag (toothbrush, shampoo, soap, deodorant)
    - MBP
    - Digital Camera
    - Small notebook and pens (held in Freudian Slip)
    - Computer accessories held inside Snake Charmer (MBP power brick, mouse, vehicle DC to AC converter, 2.5" portable HD, firewire chord, ethernet chord, Apple remote, 2 jump drives, Nintendo DS charger)
    - Nintendo DS
    - A pack of gum
    - Cell phone
    - Passport and boarding passes

At this point, my pack was pretty stuffed, but I was able to live out of it for three days. So for your everyday needs, it should be enough. I currently use it to carry my MBP, chords and accessories, notebook cooling stand, and assorted notebooks and pens. It still has plenty of room for other things. The quality and build of the Brain Bag and Brain Cell are really grade A. It has a very durable feel to it and feels like it will last a lifetime (plus there's a lifetime guarantee if the bag breaks under normal usage). Hopes this sheds a little more light on your options.

11. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I use a Crumpler King Single and I love it. All of their bags are really nice but their website is kind of annoying and the names are impossible to decipher so I recommend going to one of their stores if you can.

12. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I also use one of these, it is a great bag! I use Crumpler bags for almost everything, photo bags, regular messengers, etc, they are great!

13. sdsviet macrumors regular