Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2016
MO
I am looking for a backpack and and wondering if anybody has any ideas.. I am having a hard time finding one I like.

I want something that is going to hold up. I carry around my rMBP 15 and my 9.7 iPP, and all the Chargers and adapters necessary. I also always have a couple of screwdrivers, pliars, and a c wrench.

Last year I bought a Cococoon Slim. From a design perspective I love the thing. From a quality perspective it is garbage. The first one had a broken strap within weeks. Cocoon sent me another, and it suffered the same fate. http://www.cocooninnovations.com/product_info.php?product_id=244

The North Face Microbyte looks like like a great pack, but it won't fit my 15 MacBook.

So basically I want minimalist.

What do you guys use? Any I might like?

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
https://m.colehaan.com/products/F10066?location=en-US

This is what I have been using. I like it a lot, and I'm pretty picky when it comes to backpacks and bags. The laptop sleeve is separate from the rest of the bag which is nice. I have a 13, but there's plenty of extra room for a 15. Then there's a shallow pocket with a strap over it for your iPad (fits my Air 2 great) in the main pocket, along with several other pockets for organization. I've used it to trek around San Francisco and DC for a week each, and I am headed to New York with it later this week. It really is a great pack.

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2016
MO
I like it. How rigid is that pack? Does it hold a shape whether it has stuff in it or not, or is it softer?

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
It's not particularly rigid, but I wouldn't say it's super soft either. The padding on the back is somewhat stiff, but the rest of the material is softer. It's not going to look like the pictures if it's empty, that's for sure.

ValiumEater

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2015
This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Thule-Crosso...qid=1468912149&sr=8-2&keywords=Thule+backpack

Traveled the world with it for the last 5 years, it probably has 40,000 miles on it at least, super versatile, expands when you need it to, fits my rMBP, hard drives, batteries and my iPad Pro in the back pocket, cables in the bottom pocket and you barely know they are there. The main pocket is HUGE, stores a TON of stuff, and the zipper compartment in the front pocket is great. Before that, I had a Brenthaven that lasted me a decade that I bought for my original 15" Titanium G4.

Last edited:

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Shoot, I use a 5.11 Rush 12 and it'll hold all that and never fall apart. I have a 13" MBA and it swims inside it. It'll fit the Air, a Samsung Tab Pro, phones, cables, external drives, portable batteries, you name it. It'll fit an actual cocoon organizer underneath the laptop too.

I take it to school every day I have class, took it to Europe for two weeks, have taken it on countless weekend trips...no problems at all and doesn't look like it's holding a bunch of expensive tech like all these other trendy bags. Great quality too.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I am looking for a backpack and and wondering if anybody has any ideas.. I am having a hard time finding one I like.

I want something that is going to hold up. I carry around my rMBP 15 and my 9.7 iPP, and all the Chargers and adapters necessary. I also always have a couple of screwdrivers, pliars, and a c wrench.

Last year I bought a Cococoon Slim. From a design perspective I love the thing. From a quality perspective it is garbage. The first one had a broken strap within weeks. Cocoon sent me another, and it suffered the same fate. http://www.cocooninnovations.com/product_info.php?product_id=244

The North Face Microbyte looks like like a great pack, but it won't fit my 15 MacBook.

So basically I want minimalist.

What do you guys use? Any I might like?

Cheap is cheap. Both of these are companies making bags in A,Erica, paying Amerocan wages, and offering lifetime warranties.

Tom Bihn Synapse 25

GoRuck GR1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.