Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrainOfNaCl

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
The Wild Blue Yonder
So I'm starting college classes in a few weeks, and I'm looking to upgrade from my 2001 Columbia backpack. I've read through the backpack threads on here (there sure are a lot, sorry for one more), and I've narrowed down my list.

Incase Heathered
Incase Campus
Booq Mamba Shift
Ogio Newt II
Ogio Newt IIS
Banjo Brothers Metro

My budget is roughly $170, and I need something that protects my computer, has quality craftsmanship, quality material, is well designed, and long lasting. That being said, after all the reviews I've read on the different bags, I have a few outstanding questions about specific bags. I hoping that if anyone here has ever seen/used/owned one of the bags they can help me out. :)

Incase:
Are the materials and craftsmanship high quality? Will they last for two years or ten? Also, does the main compartment have enough capacity for some textbooks?
Booq:
The booq bag is definitely my favorite, and I would buy it in a heartbeat if I knew that it had enough internal space for a handful of textbooks along with my computer.
Ogio:
I like the look of the two Newt bags, but I'm wondering if there's a significant difference regarding capacity. They put a binder and some notebooks in the main compartment in the video, but it didn't look like there was much room after that.
Banjo Brothers:
Ok, I realize that most of you have probably never heard of them, so I don't really expect anyone to be helpful with this one lol, but it's made with solid materials (waterproof) and quality craftsmanship, so on the list it goes.

If anyone has any other ideas, there are a few more factors that I take into consideration. I'm female, so I don't want something that's too large. Also, the design needs to be as such that I can easily secure the zippers with a few zipper locks (http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/lock-purse-security-clip-p-951.html). Lots of little pockets on the exterior are cool in theory, but if I can't keep them secure then they aren't exactly useful on campus.

Thanks for looking!

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
I can vouch for Incase, they do have high quality macbook sleeves and I've been using there's for a few years now. I don't see why their backpack quality would be any different.

scfres46

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2011
Long Island NY
Backpacks

Hope I caught you in time..

Do yourself a favor and check out the Oakley Kitchen Sink Backpack. Awesome backpack, great protection and plenty of space.

GrainOfNaCl

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
The Wild Blue Yonder
Hope I caught you in time..

Do yourself a favor and check out the Oakley Kitchen Sink Backpack. Awesome backpack, great protection and plenty of space.
Oakley was actually my first stop, I'm currently using one of their older vertical laptop bags, and the quality is excellent. That being said, the Kitchen Sink is a bit too much backpack for me and my 5'4 stature ;)

I have the incase alloy backpack and it's great, thus gets my vote.
Thanks! I'm thinking that I'll order the booq, and if it turns out to be too small I'll return it and buy something else. Incase seems to be getting some good support, so those bags definitely seem like a good deal if booq falls through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.