Backpack recommendations to carry MacBook pro 15 and iPad 2?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shaun319, Mar 27, 2011.

1. shaun319 macrumors member

Hi guys,

Just bought a new iPad 2. I am looking for a backpack to carry my iPad and MacBook pro 15 inch daily. I have read good reviews about North Face, incase, and brenthaven. Having a hard time deciding between the 3. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rockymtnrawhide macrumors newbie

I own two backpacks for hauling around my mbp 15 and ipad. The first one is a Northface Boxshot which is a nice all around backpack for daily use, however, if you need to carry more around, I use a SpireUSA torq (this is my traveling backpack). This Spire has quite a bit of room (pricey too, but worth it), a custom sleeve that is ordered for your laptop (included in price). The Spire warranty is second to none, and carries a lifetime guarantee. Not too sure about the Northface warranty. I have also had a Northface surge awhile ago that was a decent backpack.

http://www.spireusa.com/products/TQ8.htm

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/box-shot_2.html?parent_category_rn=&cm_vc=Search

3. tharepairguy macrumors member

I have a swiss gear made by wernger. It was around 80 bux at staples. Has shock absorbing material on the arm straps. It's used daily for work and takes a beating. Laptop is in/out 10/15 times a day along with the other compartments to get out cords/adapters for telephone switchs and other telco equipment. Still looks new 2 years later. Plenty of room for both and extra stuff.

4. the_fellowship macrumors regular

5. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

+1 I use one as well with my iPad 2 and 2011 MBP. It is very comfortable but dont expect to carry more than a couple books/binders as it isn't meant for that. Suits my needs but not for everyone.

6. shaun319 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thank for the recommendations guys! Is the large incase bag big enough to carry the mac book, iPad and some books?

7. nrmillions macrumors member

these 2 are the best. they both have top reviews and they are both weatherproof. i have both of them. the first one only weighs 1.3 pounds and the second one weighs 2.7 pounds. they both have lifetime warranties and reasonably priced.

the best for lightweight that wont hold much else is the Targus Crave for 16 inch laptops

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Backpa...72TK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1301340023&sr=8-7

for a bag that can hold some more stuff other than a laptop such as textbooks, the Targus A7 for 16 inch laptops is the best

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Backpa...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301340126&sr=1-1

8. terzinator macrumors 6502

9. 1quick1 macrumors member

10. Coburn macrumors newbie

Coburn

11. brentsg macrumors 68030

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I never much cared for the Neoprene sleeves, so I recently bought a memory foam sleeve by BauBau. It protects the macbook pro really well and has zippers on 3 sides, which makes it convenient if you have more than one type of bag to transfer your mbp into.

I don't yet have an iPad, but I have frequently taken my mbp and Kindle to school in my plain old Jansport (yes I'm probably the only person who uses such a backpack still). The iPad (with a smartcover or other cover) would probably do just fine in the front pocket.

But then again, I don't need to do much traveling because I stay in one building almost all day. If hustle and bustle is part of your routine, I'd get something that will nestle your iPad better.

13. shaun319 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Great info. The booq bag Looks great but it is kind of expensive at $129. Does anybody else use the northface surge?

14. VTMac macrumors 6502

+1 for the Spire. I can't conceive of a better bag in terms of quality backed by better service. Both my wife and I have had ours for 6+ and 5+ years. Not a single stitch has moved. When my wife ordered hers, they accidentally sent the wrong color. (Solid Black instead of Black with Silver trim.) The owner of the company called, personally apologized, 24 hr overnight shipped the correct item and asked her to KEEP the original incorrect item. (That's how I got mine .. even though I didn't need it for another year.) They are top notch all the way around.