Backpack suggestions for D7000 / 13" MBP? Specific needs.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by txikitxik, Apr 17, 2011.

1. txikitxik macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a backpack to store my D7000 and 13" Macbook Pro, as well as a few spare lenses and other travel essentials.

I'm a slender lady and I have pretty painful scoliosis, so I need any bag to be comfortable (read: good ergonomic support for the back, NOT a slingback), TSA compliant and relatively light.

I'm going on an 11-day cruise and long honeymoon in two weeks, and I want to be able to securely and comfortably carry my gear. ;)

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!:apple:

2. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Take a long look at the Crumpler lineup … VERY good ergonomic support and also padded inseams for the Pro SLR camera's and MBP. Then maybe Timbuk2 if you don't find what you're after.

FYI: don't leave the bag unattended with your full gear as these scream "PRO stuff inside - theives can shop here".

3. ErvS macrumors newbie

I have the large National Geographic 5737. I carry around my full kit which weighs around 35 lbs. The straps and belt have a very nice system on them.
    Lots of adjustments to get it just right, My 30 some odd pound kit does not feel like 30 pounds. I have walked for 5-6 hours with this and have had no problems with soreness. They make a smaller one that I think you would like. They are a canvas color and do not stick out and say look at me.
    Erv

4. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

I'm quite petite too and am seriously considering getting a Kata bag. I know people who have them and they say they're comfortable to wear. There are many models to choose from but these are the one's I'm looking at:

Kata DR-466i

Kata DR-467i

Attached Files:

5. thejoshhoward macrumors member

I'm a pretty big guy, but I'm in love with the Kata Digital Rucksack I just purchased. Been wearing it pretty much everywhere including trips on my motorcycle. It's very comfortable and has a great support system. I can carry my D7000 w/lens attached, 3 other lenses, accessories, laptop w/power brick, and two or three days worth of clothes. It's a great bag with tons of options. Super pleased with the purchase.

6. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

I carry my D7000 and gear in a Lowepro Flipside 400AW. I got it on sale for just over $100. I love it. I'm a slender dude, but I'm not in any pain, so I can't speak to that part of the comfort.

Features I love:
    - Camera opens from the side against your back, so nobody can unzip and snag the main gear unless they remove it from your body.
    - Built-in rain cover and tripod carry fitments that stow away nicely when not used.
    - Spandex-ey side pockets that hold big, giant water bottles.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

I am picking up a Kata 467i tomorrow from a dud off of craigslist for $25 and he said it is in mint and used only a few times! I am stoked and will take images of all my gear in it for reference.

8. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

Lucky devil! :)

9. rcoward macrumors newbie

rcoward

I use a Lowepro Fastback 300, which maybe a little big for you but it has been around the World with me and it carries my D90 with two lenses, SB-600 flashgun, batteries and charger, filters, remote control, wallet, passport, etc and my 15" Apple MacBook Pro. The Fastback 200 wasn't quite big enough for the 15" with it's Crumpler cover on it...

It might be a bit more expensive than has been quoted for other carriers but it is tough, comfortable and reliable. Goes everywhere with me.

Oh, and my job...? I'm an international airline pilot and I use this bag instead of my flightbag now. I never go on a flight without my camera! ;)

Have a great time!

10. HBOC macrumors 68020

Here are some pictures of my new bag! $25 and he threw in a Lastolite reflector that seems to be worth $30 or something.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see this guy on hoarders, however..

Oh the pics. I took a picture of my gear and it in my bag. Tripod fits rather well in this, although my tripod is larger than probably this is designed for (Manfrotto 055XProB)

I will say that my camera body eats up a bit of real estate. My 85mm 1,4 will fit with it attached to the body, but it is a tight fit. But the bag is nice and fits well on my back. It will be muddy tomorrow though :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]