Backpacking Europe with an Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by afro4president, Dec 23, 2008.

1. afro4president macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm heading across the pond for 2 weeks in a few days and was planning on taking my Iphone (first generation 8gig) to help me navigate around/find things to do/reserve hostiles, ect... and was wondering what all I need to do so I'm not charged an arm and a leg. I called AT&T and they said the Iphone is already set up with all the international features, but they have fed me wrong information many times. So I guess my question is, what do i need to do so I can get online and make a few local calls while traveling through Europe?

Thanks,
    Coop

2. therealdt macrumors regular

The question is why would you want to bring your iPhone.

3. broozes macrumors newbie

... Did you even read what he just said in his post?

4. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

iphone will serve you well as it does in day to day life - googlemaps, quick net searches, etc. It's great and highly recommended for any packpacking experience! get a spare battery pack to charge from ebay!

2: you will face roaming costs which are high. If you're coming to london for instance, there is pretty much free wifi everywhere so you're ok... Your net use will depend where you are. Phone AT&T and ask how much a MB costs and look at your typical usage and then cry at how much it may cost you... maybe at&t do a MB bundle pack? o2 uk does.

3: cheap calls? If you know of any free SIP's you can download fring and use that..i haven't found any but anyone who knows any, post here or pm me your secrets and lies ;)

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Yes, you can. You just need to add an international plan (if you haven't already). If you don't have a plan, AT&T will kill you with data usage costs.

6. therealdt macrumors regular

Yeah, I did. Using an iPhone is like 'cheating'. This is my opinion. Backpacking, to moi is about meeting people, exploring, finding your own way, etc.

7. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Data roaming is horrendously expensive. If I were you, I'd say turn it off and reserve your "hostiles" via wifi spots. And watch out, Europe is indeed full of hostiles. Particularly France :)

8. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I don't think it is cheating.

You could discover things that you would never find without
    an iphone !

9. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

Unlock the phone with pwnage and use prepaid calling cards for every country ?
    you could put your sim into a cheap phone so friends and family can reach you and otherwise take advantages of a cheap prepaid with the iphone ...
    not every carrier has edge though

10. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The AT&T agent probably wasn't lying to you in the strictest sense of the word. Most of your phone's functions will roam seamlessly while you're in Europe without needing to take any action at all. It's just that you'll be charged a higher rate to access them.

You can sign up for some optional services, like AT&T World Traveler for $5.99 per month, to get cheaper voice airtime while traveling internationally. You can use AT&T's website to compare the roaming airtime rates with and without the World Traveler plan in each of the countries you plan to visit, to determine whether you expect make enough calls for the up-front $5.99 per month cost to be offset by the reduced calling rates.

Either way, if you place voice calls on your iPhone using an AT&T SIM while you're outside the USA, your airtime bill will be significantly higher than it is while you're inside the USA - if it isn't already obvious to you, remember that none of your plan's regular included minutes apply to international roaming.

On the data side, if you don't take any action, you will automatically pay $0.0195 per kilobyte for data usage while outside the USA. AT&T offers 4 eligible international data plans in 65 countries - $25 for 0 up to 20 MB, $60 for 0 up to 50 MB, $120 for 0 up to 100 MB, and $200 for 0 up to 200 MB. Overage fees on any of these plans is $0.005 per kilobyte within those 65 countries. Alternatively, you can also set the headset to block data entirely while roaming.

All of AT&T's optional international roaming plans (both data and voice) can be switched on and off any time, without adding anything to your long term commitments.