Backpacking lens recommendation?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by walangij, Aug 2, 2010.

1. walangij macrumors 6502

I'm going on a backpacking trip later in the month and am trying to decide between renting a macro lens or a fisheye. I've done some macro work in the past but I don't know if I'll have the patience for it out in the backcountry with my buddies waiting for me if I stop every few minutes. Also I don't think I'll take a macro flash with me which may decrease the quality of my shots. I was thinking a fisheye lens would be a nice addition, though I did get bored of it when I had it, but never took one backpacking for landscapes. Any experiences? Suggestions? If you have any interesting shots post em up, they'd be helpful.

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

If you're not going with other photographers it may not be worth renting a lens as you might feel obligated to keep moving and then not get your moneys worth. But also are you bringing a tripod? If not then maybe get the fisheye as a tripod would really help utilize the macro lens.

Another possibility is to rent a tilt/shift as it world extremely well for landscapes, especially if you are going to like a grassland or desert where your landscape will run all the way from your lens to infinity- the tilting ability will give you that perfect "infinite" depth of field and the shifting will give you more MP as you can easily take 2 or 3 shot panos that are ultra easy to stitch.

Ruahrc

3. walangij thread starter macrumors 6502

I am bringing a tripod for shots around the campfire/nightscapes with my walk-around lens. I will be in the mountains so I don't know if it would be beneficial using a tilt-shift for the infinite DOF. Also I haven't had experience with TS lenses, so maybe my rental would be a waste? Is the learning curve decent?

4. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

How much does renting cost? What's your camera?

5. walangij thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm bringing along a canon xsi which has been my backpacking camera because of it's lightweight. I limit myself to a maximum of 2 lenses now, and a lightweight tripod because weight is a factor. I did a trip where my camera gear weighed almost as much as my backpacking gear, awesome pictures, terrible trip lol. I've budgeted $100 for a week of lens rentals.