Backrounder VS 4.0 Multitasking...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fuzion11, Jun 17, 2010.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

After you jailbreak your 4.0 will you guys and gals still install backgrounder via Cydia? Or will mulitasking iso 4.0 do the trick solo for you?

2. KingHuds macrumors 6502

If Pandora works, I wont need backgrounder anymore.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

iOS 4 should do 95% of what I need. There is one text-to-speech app that I'm not sure can make use of the new APIs, so I may need backgrounder just for that app.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I have to wait and see.
    Hope all the appstore apps I use get updated to take advantage of the 4.0 API's.

5. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

Backgrounder and the Kirake apps I like together...I like to double tap the home button and have all my favorite apps to get to quickly

with multi tasking, the apps in the dock are constantly running, or just there for faster access ?

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The Apple multi-tasking is still pretty restricted when compared to Backgrounder.

7. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Which is a boon to battery life. Look, folks, not every app's functionality is going to fit into Apple's multi-tasking box...on the flip-side, most apps that jailbreakers like to use with Backgrounder would be far better served by Apple's version of "backgrounding," and, indeed, are sucking way more battery life than need be.

At least two sides to everything.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Agreed, but my belief is the user should be able to choose where he wishes to "waste" his battery instead of Apple deciding for us.

9. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I love the way Apple implemented the function...but I'd have to agree with it being somewhat restricted. Hopefully someone in the jailbreak community will enable it to be more useful in the future.

I for one wish the app icons were a little smaller so you could fit more than 4 per view. I'd also like to see a badge when an app is backgrounded.

10. jlmitnick macrumors regular

I may still use it for my IM applications since push notifications just don't cut it when you're in a few conversations or saying things quickly.

11. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I just seen the video for multitasking while using the Navigon GPS app....it looks pretty neat!

While he was talking to someone on the phone the turn by turn kept on going right through the actual phone call.

Can backgrounder do that??

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, backgrounder has been doing that for a long time.

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I hope they come out with the update soon. Hopefully it will fix the Panorama 3D view, too.

14. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'll play around with the apple multi-tasking. It doesn't have to blow me away, just work. Even though I'm still jailbreaking, it's one less thing sucking battery life from my phone.

15. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

This. I hope Beejive gets the backgrounding treatement.

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yes. I hope the task completion API can be made to keep a net connection open for a user-configurable amount of time (zero to five minutes) so that the phone won't have to reconnect to the servers every time we pop out and back into Beejive.

17. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I'm going to stick with multi tasking since that will satisfy most of my needs. Additionally, the apps will be made to work with multitasking and not backgrounding (as is the warning that the backgrounder displays to you. Also due to that, many times when i used backgrounder my app that are open would crash.

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I do not understand what you are saying at all.

19. labman macrumors 604

labman

Apple should have talked to and paid the Dev of Backgrounder. of course the ego's involved would never allow that. there are many many excellent programs in the jailbreaking world that make the iPhone a better phone. with backgrounder the Dev's would not update there programs to run in the background!

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Do you really think Apple doesn't know how to background applications? If they'd wanted to do that, they could have implemented it from day one. They implemented the 7 multitasking APIs because they thought it was a better way of doing multitasking, not because they couldn't figure out how to run a backround task.

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

not really saying that I just think backgrounder implements better in some ways. oh well it really doesn't matter, it is what it is. and I'm sure they are aware of the jailbreaking community.

22. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

AMEN to that brother! :D:apple::D

23. bilboa macrumors regular

Yes. In fact you don't even need backgrounder, or even a jailbroken phone, to talk on the phone while Navigon is running. You just need to start Navigon while you're on the phone, and you'll then be talking on the phone and hearing the voice prompts at the same time. The difference is that without Backgrounder, or Apple's multitasking, Navigon needs to be the foreground app. Also if the phone rings while you're using Navigon, if you answer the call it will exit out of Navigon, and you'll have to restart Navigon to start getting directions again. Backgrounder and Apple's multitasking both can solve these problems.

24. bilboa macrumors regular

From what I can tell, Apple's multitasking APIs cover pretty much every multitasking use case that I need, assuming they work as advertised. The main problem compared to Backgrounder, is that Apple's APIs have to be actively supported by the app developers, whereas Backgrounder works with any app without any special support. So unless/until app developers of all the apps I use add multitasking support to their apps, Backgrounder will have an advantage.

One of the main uses I have for Backgrounder is allowing audio apps, like Pandora and Stitcher, to run in the background. I'm sure the developers of those apps will very quickly add multitasking support, since it's such an obvious benefit.

However the other reason I occasionally use Backgrounder is when I'm filling in a dialog box or am in the middle of some other process in the app that I don't want to interrupt by having to restart the app, and then I need to do something else on the phone, like look something up. In theory the Fast App Switching API should be able to handle this, but only if the developer has added support for it. Since some of these apps aren't ones which you would normally think need multitasking, I'm not sure the developers will add support, unless Apple has made it trivially easy to add support for Fast App Switching. So Backgrounder may still beat Apple's APIs for some time.

25. Cupra macrumors regular

im hoping jailbraker app makers can use native multi tasking to do things even apple haven't thought of yet!