Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biggles824

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
is there a way to remove the screen from the front,or do you have to slip the monitor out of the plastic shell to get at the back to clean.i see slots around the outside that holds "it seems" the plastic APPLE face cover .thanks

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
I'm a bit confused on what you are attempting to do. In other words...huh? :confused:

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
If you are talking about opening the casing of one of the old CRT's (any brand/size/style) BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL!!!!!!!!

There is a capacitor inside crt's that hold a HUGE amount of amperage, which WILL definitely injure and/or could possibly *K*I*L*L* you very very quickly if you touch it the wrong way :eek: :eek: :eek:

Don't wanna lose a mac newbie over something stupid like gettin fried to a crisp by a mean ole monitor, now dow we! :D :p :D

Blogger

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Local
I think he means the plastic Cinema Displays that came with G4s.
I have one here, but haven't tried disassembling it to clean it. Mine's full of dead fruit flies, of all things. They get in through the heat vents. So if anyone has an answer to this, I'd be interested to hear it too.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I'd say remove the screws, lay the monitor glass side down on a nice, very soft cloth, and just pull the entire casing up.

Thats how it is with practially every CRT.

Wash out the casing, dry it with a towel, then also let it air dry.

Put a box over the monitor guts so no one gets shocked.

Use a can of compressed air to blow away dust in the monitor as well.

Hope this helps.

Blogger

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Local
I don't think he's talking about a CRT, I think he means the first generation LCDs. You could lay it on the screen and pull the screws, but it would be nice to know before hand if there are any quirks to dismantling the case, as Apple has a habit of making things awkward to get into.

biggles824

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
thanks for the replies...it is a M7768 Apple 17" flat screen and the screen has a light grayish film on the backside with the top of the screen clearer is
apple17ny3.gif
[/URL][/img] that film might be on the actual monitor interior screen and there is no front screen covering it?looking at it head on can that Apple cover ring be removed and the screen removed and cleaned.thanks again......sorry for the confusion!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.