Backup 3 Error

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by disasterw/shoes, Jun 16, 2008.

1. disasterw/shoes macrumors newbie

I just bought my first Mac computer (a 15" MacBook Pro w/ a 200G hard drive) and have been trying to back the thing up because after years of working with PCs, I've learned not to trust anything. After doing some research, I downloaded SuperDuper! 2.5. I then purchased a 500G MyBook external hard drive (Home Edition) and partitioned it into three parts, which are mainly designated for keeping all of my backups. In the first partition I stored a hard drive copy with SD!2.5 and in the second partition I stored a disk image, again using the same software. This was all fine.

I ran into a problem when I downloaded the .Mac Backup 3 software (I'm a full member on .Mac). After installing the program, I attempted to backup my hard drive (using the custom settings in which I simply selected the Mac HD) on DVDs, mostly in case of a crash on my external drive. At the third DVD write (out of the approximated 7), the machine spat the DVD back out at me and notified me that the backup had failed due an inability to write a certain file. This would have caused me to be alarmed about file corruption on my disk if it weren't for the fact that I had already made two successful backups using a different program.

My question is this: Does anyone know how to fix this error? And, if not, does anyone have any suggestions for software that actually works and will allow me to backup to DVDs/CDs?

I'm sorry if the post was a tad windy; I'm just in unfamiliar territory. I would appreciate any help.

2. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

a) Backing up to DVD/CD is unreliable, you should use an external hard disk. I used to use DVDs and lost data that way.
    b) Use Time Machine.