Backup a grey iLife restore disc?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by markothecro, May 8, 2009.

1. markothecro macrumors newbie

A baby managed to get its hands on one of my very important grey iLife restore discs. It appears to be severely scratched, though I do not have access to my mac at the moment to make check on whether it is working or not. Nonetheless, in an effort to salvage it, is there any way to make an identical copy for backup purposes? As in, rip the contents of the original DVD and then burn them to a blank DVD?

I am not financially prepared to pay some ludicrous price to get a replacement from apple, and would like to try everything I can before I resort to... other means of obtaining iLife. :(

Thanks in advance,
    Marko

2. markothecro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for a very useful resource. I was just unsure whether the iLife disc would be copy protected in some way that disallowed duplication. I suppose it is now simply a matter of the disc being intact enough for a successful copy. If I may bother with one more question, however, is the iLife disc dual layer? Or can I burn it on a normal DVD?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That you will find out, when yo copy it.

If it has more than 4.37GB of data, it is dual layer, if not, then it's single layer.