Backup a HDD connected to a TimeCapsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Berti10, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Berti10 macrumors regular

Berti10

Hi!

I recently bought my new 21,5" iMac with it's highest Capacity with Fusion Drive and I want to extend that Storage wireless by connecting it to my new '13 TimeCapsule via USB. Setup and using it is easy, but how can I create a Backup of that external HDD within my TC? If I go to settings, I can just include external Storages, that are connected to my Mac.

Thank you a lot for any ideas.

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

connect the storage drive to your iMac via a USB 3 or TB connection as they are much faster that USB 2 hanging off a network device like TC. With the drive connection connected to your iMac it is part of the iMac's file system. If the drive is hanging off of TC....it is part of TC's file system.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I agree with MCAsan. Connect the drive to your iMac. It will work much faster, and you can simply use Time Machine for backup.

If you must put it on the network (eg you want a laptop to be able to access it when the iMac is powered off), then you will need to use some method other than Time Machine to back it up - CarbonCopyCloner, etc.

4. Berti10 thread starter macrumors regular

Berti10

Thanks. Infact, it's a 6 Year old 1TB HDD, which also makes Noice like an old HDD. So there won't be any speed increase. But thank you for your tips! ;)