Backup Advice Needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vismedia, Aug 24, 2012.

1. vismedia macrumors newbie

Hello, I have a 2010 MacBookPro (running Lion) and recently replaced my main drive for a 128GB SSD. I then replaced the optical drive for a 750GB storage drive. I have a 1TB Western Digital Live external that is set up currently with Time Machine.

The problem I am having is Time Machine is only backing up the SSD and not the 750GB storage drive.

My question is, can I configure Time Machine to back up both, if yes, how.

If not, what alternative methods of back up can anyone suggest. Initially I did some research and came up with two options, "Carbon Copy Cloner" & "SuperDuper"

Looking for some guidance here.

Many thanks,
    Dan

2. simsaladimbamba

Go to System Preferences > Time Machine > Options to see, if your 750 GB is on that EXCLUDE list. If it is not, TM should back up that 750 GB HDD.

CCC and SD! are for making 1:1 copies of one HDD/SSD to another HDD/SSD, though they have some archiving functions.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Time Machine by default excludes all external drives, so you will need to manually remove it from the exclude list.

4. vismedia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I checking out the exclude list and it's completely empty. Any other thoughts?

----------

you know I may be wrong, it might in fact be backing up that drive. Any way to verify?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Open the Finder and go to a folder on the external drive, then start the Time Machine app. That will bring up the Time Machine interface (below) and you can tell if it is working.

[​IMG]

6. vismedia thread starter macrumors newbie

Good suggestion, i was able to do that and saw that it is in fact backing up those folders.

Thanks again!