Backup Advice Needed

vismedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Hello, I have a 2010 MacBookPro (running Lion) and recently replaced my main drive for a 128GB SSD. I then replaced the optical drive for a 750GB storage drive. I have a 1TB Western Digital Live external that is set up currently with Time Machine.

The problem I am having is Time Machine is only backing up the SSD and not the 750GB storage drive.

My question is, can I configure Time Machine to back up both, if yes, how.

If not, what alternative methods of back up can anyone suggest. Initially I did some research and came up with two options, "Carbon Copy Cloner" & "SuperDuper"

Looking for some guidance here.

Many thanks,
Dan

Nov 28, 2010
located
Go to System Preferences > Time Machine > Options to see, if your 750 GB is on that EXCLUDE list. If it is not, TM should back up that 750 GB HDD.

CCC and SD! are for making 1:1 copies of one HDD/SSD to another HDD/SSD, though they have some archiving functions.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Time Machine by default excludes all external drives, so you will need to manually remove it from the exclude list.

vismedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Go to System Preferences > Time Machine > Options to see, if your 750 GB is on that EXCLUDE list. If it is not, TM should back up that 750 GB HDD.

CCC and SD! are for making 1:1 copies of one HDD/SSD to another HDD/SSD, though they have some archiving functions.
Thanks, I checking out the exclude list and it's completely empty. Any other thoughts?

----------

you know I may be wrong, it might in fact be backing up that drive. Any way to verify?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
you know I may be wrong, it might in fact be backing up that drive. Any way to verify?
Open the Finder and go to a folder on the external drive, then start the Time Machine app. That will bring up the Time Machine interface (below) and you can tell if it is working.

vismedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Open the Finder and go to a folder on the external drive, then start the Time Machine app. That will bring up the Time Machine interface (below) and you can tell if it is working.

Good suggestion, i was able to do that and saw that it is in fact backing up those folders.

Thanks again!