Backup advice

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lukin, Jul 30, 2009.

1. lukin macrumors regular

Hello, thanks for any input.

I'm currently evaluating my backup procedures and deciding what I want to do. Right now I just use Time Machine with a 1TB external USB Drive. I have a lot of media and documents that I would hate to lose in case of a disaster and am thinking about offsite storage.

I'm thinking of buying a Time Capsule for use at home every day, then backing up to the External once a month and store it offsite.

If I was to backup to the external once a month using Time Machine, then (god forbid) a fire, flood, etc happens that destroys my computer and time capsule... would I be able to purchase a new computer and get the files off the external stored offsite? I'm not sure how it will work since Time Machine was not used to back up the data from that new computer, but I would want to pull it anyways.

Any ideas on how this will work? Or other backup ideas?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, using Migration Assistant's "Restore from a Time Machine backup" option.

You seem to understand that you can't rely on one solution. Storing it offsite sounds inconvenient; putting a backup drive in a fireproof box would protect it from ... well, fire. Most of them are water-sealed, as well.