Backup Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by michaelzz, May 13, 2010.

1. michaelzz macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a macbook pro that will not boot up into os x. I'm able to retrieve information off it from target disk mode, but there appears to be something wrong with the installation. I want to make a time machine backup of this drive or something similar (but from another computer because i can't access the affected one) so that i can completely wipe the hard drive of the mbp and make a clean installation, and then have all my files, folders, and settings restored.

I tried doing an archive and install (a normal install on snow leopard) but i get an error ("The contents of this disk can't be changed"). I can't repair disk in disk util, nor can i reset disk permissions. I have multiple errors when verifying permissions "open error 5".

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you have access to another Mac, you can try Target Disk Mode and then either use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone the MBP's HDD to another external HDD.

Then Erase and Install and use the Setup or Migration Assistant to get your data back from the external HDD now connected to your MBP.