backup after jailbreaking and unlocking... help...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jdflip55, Mar 2, 2009.

1. jdflip55 macrumors newbie

I recently jailbroke my iphone here in the Philippines, and I was wondering.. if I sync my iphone up with my computer to retrieve my backup data (ie: contacts, notes, calendar) will my phone go back to the way it was? will cydia and installer get deleted along with the apps I have downloaded from them? will my phone go back to being locked instead of unlocked?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    The only way that would happen is if you either clicked "restore" in itunes, or if an update newer than 2.2.1 comes out and you update your iphone, then it will become unjailbroken and or re-locked (if there is a baseband update). Don't worry you can sync your phone all you want. :D

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Actually yes. The only way to retrieve your backup data is to restore your phone from backup. If your phone is jailbroken/unlocked, you're gonna lose it. You need to restore from backup before you jailbreak/unlock to retain your data.

4. jdflip55 thread starter macrumors newbie

so my iphone will go back to exactly the way it was before? my SIM card here in the Philippines will no longer work with the relocked iphone? and before I had it unlocked and jailbroken I had the guy update my phone as well to 2.2.1., so that means my phone will also downgrade to the previous version?

5. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Actually no. You can simply connect the iPhone and restore a backup, this is only data and will not impact the jailbreak. Equate this with having just jailbroken your phone and restoring a backup on your first sync. This is different then actually doing a restore. :)

6. jdflip55 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh thank you!
    so even though i had my iphone updated, jailbroken, and unlocked on a completely different computer than my own... when i sync it to my own computer to retrieve the backup data, the update, the jailbreak, and the unlock will be completely unaffected? and everything I have downloaded from Cydia and Installer will still be there?