Backup and Restore Contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by EW800, Sep 24, 2016.

1. EW800 macrumors 6502

Hello,

Hoping a couple of you might be able to guide a less-knowledgeable iPhone user in the right direction. :)

I am using an iPhone 6 Plus. I am interested in wiping the device and basically starting over with a clean and fresh install. I believe I can figure out getting all photos to my PC and restoring only the apps that I want to keep using from the App Store. E-mail should be fine, as a use an Exchange account for work e-mail, so I assume that restores when I reload the Exchange e-mail account.

My biggest concern is roughly a thousand contacts or so. Although I want a pretty clean install, I do want all Contacts restored. Can anyone tell me what the best options are to back-up and restore my Contacts? If they are already backed up through iCloud, is it just a matter of just restoring them to the fresh install via iCloud, or do I need to back them up to my PC to do this?

Thank you so much!

2. JayJohnPaul macrumors regular

JayJohnPaul

Since you've already backed up your contacts to iCloud then there's no reason for you to backup using a PC. They should sync back once you "restore from backup."

I also recommend downloading "My Contacts Backup" on the App Store as an alternative. All your contacts are backed up with a single tap and you could email them to yourself.

3. EW800 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much for recommending "My Contacts Backup"! I had not heard of it before and just gave it a try. It is excellent.

Thanks again!

4. JayJohnPaul macrumors regular

JayJohnPaul

You're welcome! It's indeed an excellent app, I use it all the time since I usually don't restore from backup when upgrading to a new iPhone.