Backup and restore question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kronie, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

OK, day two with the new UMBP. Everything going great. Files are where I want them, all my programs are installed and running perfect.

So, time to backup on an external drive.

Is the best method to use time machine for a backup and super duper to clone the drive?

In the event of catastrophe, I know I can reinstall OSX and then use time machine somehow. Maybe that's the easiest?

Whats the best way to set this up?

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I personally like Carbon Copy Cloner from www.bombich.com.
    It let's you do a complete clone of your drive from one to another. It makesthe backup drive bootable (you should do that if it offers the choice), and it allows you to setup incremental backups thereafter on a schedule.

Definitely worth the money (free).

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Time Machine will be able to do exactly what you need if you want to restore from a Time Machine backup you can do that at any time simply by booting to the OS X installation disk and choose to restore from a Time Machine backup from the menu at the top.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I like SuperDuper. More options than CCC, but it does cost money.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, Time Machine is all I use unless I know in advance that I will be formatting a drive, in which case I'll overwrite my Time Machine backup with a cloned version by Carbon Copy Cloner, and clone it back when I'm done. Couldn't be easier.

6. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

That's my route, and its free.

I just need the ability to backup easily, which time machine seems to do quite nicely. And when the drive runs out of room or crashes I can clone to the new drive.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Time Machine is best for backup, SD and CCC are best for moving to a new hard drive (i.e. upgrade).