Backup and Syncing Question, Getting Ready for my New iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AppleiMac, Jun 21, 2010.

1. AppleiMac macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I have a question about syncing. I currently have an iPhone 3GS that I got last June. I've had it, along with my original iPhone, synced to my HP computer since the beginning.

Well about a month ago I got a new MBP. I got my songs and everything transferred over...not my backups though, they are all on my old computer. My phone is syncing with my new library on my MBP just fine, and I did a backup. I noticed though that when I sync, it makes me go through the whole backup process every time, and doesn't create new ones. There is just one backup that gets rewritten every time I sync. I'm not sure why, before on my computer I had at least 5? Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change to make sure my iPhone thinks the MBP is the home computer now?

I want to have everything ready for my iPhone 4, which is on the way. Need to make sure the backups work correctly because I will be using them for my iPhone 4...also that the new phone recognizes my MBP as the home computer, etc. Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

hmm... not sure but I think you'll be fine with your most current backup on your MBP. You don't need old backups.

3. AppleiMac thread starter macrumors member

OK, that's true, I usually like to have them in case though. Was wondering if not creating more backups meant my iPhone didn't consider the MBP as the home computer. Regardless, I guess I'll just upgrade to iOS 4 on my MBP.