Backup application

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maavens, Mar 18, 2008.

1. maavens macrumors newbie

I am looking for an application to make automatic backups to an external USB drive - for use with my MacBook and PowerMac G5 - both running 10.4.

I have no plans to upgrade to 10.5 so Time Machine is not an option.
    Also, my internet connection is not the fastest, so online backup is also out of the question.

I do not need to create bootable copies, but would like to be able to specify folders to be backed up.
    The app must be able to keep track of changes to documents and synchronize these to tha backup disk.

I will gladly pay $50 for an application if it is dependable and matches my requirements.

I have demoed LifeAgent from Memeo - I really liked the features, but it was extremely slow. I set it up to do an initial update of my 15 GB Home directory on my MacBook - a task which would take it approximately 12 hours.

I have heard good things about Deja Vu, SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner - so I will probably demo these.

Are there any other essential Backup applications that I am overlooking?
    Which app would you recommend?

2. maavens thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess no one here backs up their computers... :rolleyes:

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i love SuperDuper! and highly recommend it for backups. makes a nice bootable clone of your drive, and i think its worth it to pay for the smart updating and other features.

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Well basically what you are asking for is time machine, but you, for no given reason, won't update to leopard.

I would really recommend updating, leopard is just as stable as tiger, for me. That may be because I waited until 10.5.2 and I did an erase and install.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

6. maavens thread starter macrumors newbie

My reason for not wanting to upgrade to Leopard is that I mainly use my computer for audio production.
    I use software which has been discontinued and therefor will not be available for Leopard.
    I also have a lot of software which would reqiure upgrades to be Leopard compatible.
    Also, most audio software use challenge/response copy protection schemes, and it would be a major PITA to have to obtain new authorisations for all of my apps and plug-ins.
    Therefore an upgrade to Leopard would end up being both time consuming and costly. And everything is workign very nicely for me at the moment in Tiger - if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)
    So basicly, staying with Tiger for the time being is right for me.

7. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Give Chronosync a try like PlaceofDis suggested. Time Machine would be the perfect solution, but that's not an option for you. Good luck with your backups.

8. maavens thread starter macrumors newbie

Chronosync looks very nice - exactly the kind of recommendation I was hoping for.
    Any one else know of some good backup software that I should check out while I'm at it?