Backup Apps to External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AFPoster, Apr 29, 2012.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I know we can re-download Apps that I purchase from the Mac App Store but these apps are big files and I'm trying to put them on my Mac Book Air so I don't have to re-download.

Right now I can right-click on any application and "Show Contents" but how do you properly backup any application so that you can put it on another Mac. Copying the Contents folder does nothing if the application isn't there.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable backup of your entire drive, including installed applications.

3. simsaladimbamba

You copy the actual .app file? That works for me.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

No, copying the .app file is not necessarily going to be enough. Mac OS X applications can be far more complicated; components are often placed in many other locations. Some stuff you could lose (like preferences; annoying and time consuming but not necessarily fatal), some you can't. Unless you have a list of things to copy and know where to put them upon restoring much better to have a real backup. But you might get away with it.

This is an unfortunate aspect of that store; if you buy an application anywhere else you simply store the downloaded file.

5. simsaladimbamba

I understand that, but going into the package is also unnecessary.
    For preferences one could simply copy them, and also the additional Application Support data, if there is one.

6. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

Or you could fire up good ol' Migration Assistant and use that to copy the apps, settings, etc that you want onto the air?

7. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

I didn't think Migration Assistant could do this...Trying this today.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

As a previous poster replied, just use CarbonCopyCloner to create a bootable clone of the main drive.

All applications will be backed up, along with all user data, and the system files -- in a bootable drive that is in POFF (plain ol' finder format).

Can't do this with Time Machine....