backup / archive / time machine software recommendation to clone 2 external drives

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TwoBytes, Jun 8, 2009.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

hi all,

i have 2 externals:
    Drive 1: data/music/photos
    Drive 2: used to backup drive 1

Is there some sort of time machine software i can get which will backup drive 1 to drive 2. I do not want something to clone the drive every day as it will takes ages with GB worth of data.. I'd like something like Time Machine which will only copy across the changed files which won't take long.

Any recommendations? :)

2. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I use Time Machine with two external drives quite frequently. I keep one external drive on my desk for my day to day backups, and one I keep elsewhere as an off site backup. All I did was name the drives "backup 1" and "backup 2". When you plug in either drive, Time Machine will detect what files need to be updated based on the data of the drive, so it's an easy and fairly efficient way to keep two, up to date backups.

The only extra step you will need to perform will be to go into Time Machine's preferences and change the backup drive when you switch drives.

This might be what you're looking for.

3. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Most cloning software are able to "update" the current clone by copying only the modified data to the other drive (Superduper and Carbon Copy Cloner). Big difference with TM is that they don't keep more versions of the same file (although they can archive deleted files if you want).

4. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

thanks for the reply. I think you may have misunderstood- i want to backup drive 1 to drive 2. they are both external.

i had advice use time machine as suggested in another thread posted as it will backup external drives, but the problem is if my imac uses drive 1 for backup AND i store my goodies on there, i may have space issues as you can't delete old time machine backups (because of the way TM references files)

i would like to use time machine as it's an 'in the box' solution built into OSX but unless i get into partitioning, it will be trouble.

5. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

misterredman - thanks for the info. I'll look into those two!