Backup battery for iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by solaris, Jan 22, 2014.

1. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

I am looking for an external backup battery for my iPhone 5S, but struggle to find one filling my requirements. Hence I ask for your guidance. :)

My requirements:
    - 2500-3000 mAh capacity.
    - LED status indicators.
    - Charge through Lightning cable, not Micro-USB.

I have found the Mophie Powerstation mini locally, and really like the design and form factor, but it sadly does not take Lightning.
    Anything similar out there which can be charged by the stock iPhone charger and Lightning cable?

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

There is no battery pack on the market that charges by a lightning cable.
    I recommend:
    RAVPower® Luster 3000mAh External Battery Pack Portable Charger Lipstick-Sized (Ultra Bright Flashlight with High/Low/Strobe Modes) for iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4, iPod; Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note3, Note2; Nexus 5, Nexus 4; Motorola Razr Maxx, HTC ONE, most Smartphones and other USB-charged devices - Gold
    http://amzn.com/B00APFQ5VS
    Anker Astro Mini 3000mAh Ultra-Compact Portable Charger Lipstick-Sized External Battery Power Bank Pack for most Smartphones and other USB-charged devices (Apple Adapters- 30 pin and Lightning, NOT Included) - Silver
    http://amzn.com/B005NF5NTK

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

id like my car to charge via lightning but thats not happening. you'll have to settle for something that probably takes micro usb.

4. solaris thread starter macrumors 6502a

solaris

No wonder I was not able to find any. ;) Thanks for the info, and for the two recommendations!

5. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I think you should stay away from mophie and look strictly at amazon as they have excellent prices on battery packs just like the ones I said. Anker and Ravpower are the 2 main companies I recommend for battery packs.
    Just trying to help:)

6. solaris thread starter macrumors 6502a

solaris

I will certainly read up on those two from Anker and Ravpower.
    Thanks for the help! :)

7. sixrom macrumors 6502a

I use Anker 2nd Gen external battery pack which DOES use lighting cable to charge my iPhone 5S perfectly. It's got a terrific LED display, offered at great prices at Amazon.

----------

Simply not true, try Google.

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

link me up

9. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Just saying the battery pack charges by micro usb:
    Anker® 2nd Gen Astro 6000mAh Portable Charger Rapid-Recharge (2A Output) Backup External Battery Shake-to-Wake power pack for iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4, Retina iPad Mini 2, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Galaxy Tab, PS Vita, Gopro and more (Apple adapters - 30 pin and lightning, Samsung 30-pin adapter, not included)
    http://amzn.com/B00EF1OGOG

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

he was asking if there was one that charged by lightning cable.

11. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

May as we'll just get a battery case. I don't know why people carry these battery packs. Whose got pockets for that and a cable

12. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Battery packs have a variety of sizes (as in amount of charges it gives). I do have a bunch of battery cases. I think people don't get them because of the price which is around 70-120$ depending on the brand.

13. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

True. I guess I, just thinking that if someone is in a place where they can sit down and use a battery pack then they can probably just plug in somewhere. Fair enough on the price point though.

14. sixrom macrumors 6502a

You couldn't be more wrong. Why just guess and spread false info...

This Anker Battery is top of the line, charges via lightning cable, costs a mere $29.95

I have had mine for three months, it's compact and charges my iPhone over the times before the pack needs a recharge.

http://www.amazon.com/6000mAh-Porta...&qid=1390451961&sr=8-5&keywords=anker+battery

----------

It's small only weighs a few ounces, slips in my pocket, backpack or laptop bag. Simple.

15. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

Why are you so defensive? I think the OP is looking for an item that charges with a lightning cable as in your lightning cable charges the battery pack instead of a micro USB.

16. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I'm talking about battery cases not battery packs. I'm aware of the major price difference between the 2.

Also that battery pack you linked to charges by micro USB not lightning. That's false information.

17. Caesars macrumors regular

I do love my juice pack plus :), it gets me about a 90% charge. Not that anyone was asking about that .... Do these battery stations have a USB that we could plug a lightning into?

18. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Isn't the juice pack plus supposed tong or you a 120% extra charge?

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wish the Mophie would give us a Lightening cable based battery pack. My wife has a Mophie and it works great but its a bit cumbersome to now have a set of micro usb cable. I like the lightening cable, it seems more elegant solution.

20. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

It does seem like abetter solution, but micro usb cables are so cheap and more universal.
    I remember that thread that I helped you in.
    Isn't the lightning port a patent by apple so no one has the certification to put it in a product legally?