Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
I plan to do a clean install of Mavericks on my wife's 2009 iMac 24" now running Snow Leopard. Regarding backup of her current files and settings, what is the best way to do this without encountering problems with her already-synced iPhone and iPad?

I would think that it is straightforward to back up documents and picture library. Then export contacts and calendar info to saved files. Then install apps.

What about mail (messages)? Should I export all of the mailboxes, then import after the OSX install? Or can I restore just the messages from a Time Machine backup?

How much of this can be done through iCloud?

My wife is having issues with occasional spinning beach balls, so I hope that a clean install will resolve this. I've been told that a simple restore from a TM backup might not clear up the issues. Is this correct?

Any advice?

Nov 28, 2010
located

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What about mail (messages)? Should I export all of the mailboxes, then import after the OSX install? Or can I restore just the messages from a Time Machine backup?

How much of this can be done through iCloud?

If her contacts, calendar, and email are all done through iCloud, you don't need to copy anything over. Just install Mavs and login to iCloud and it will get pulled in to the new machine form Apple's servers, including emails. Again, this is only if she is using iCloud for email.

My wife is having issues with occasional spinning beach balls, so I hope that a clean install will resolve this. I've been told that a simple restore from a TM backup might not clear up the issues. Is this correct?

Correct. That would be a waste of time. A restore puts everything right back like it was, so if there is a problem with software or configuration a restore would put it right back on the drive.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Do not bother with a Time Machine backup. If your wife is having problems then all is going to happen is you will restore all the drama back onto her new Mavericks install. Just backup your files onto a standard hard drive. Any iCloud storage in terms of contacts and emails doesn't need any additional backup. Install Mavericks and manually re-install each app.

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Do not bother with a Time Machine backup. If your wife is having problems then all is going to happen is you will restore all the drama back onto her new Mavericks install. Just backup your files onto a standard hard drive. Any iCloud storage in terms of contacts and emails doesn't need any additional backup. Install Mavericks and manually re-install each app.

Just to be clear, are all of the (non-deleted) email messages stored in iCloud? She does not use a me.com or iCloud.com email. Her primary email is the one from our ISP (local cable company). I think that after her emails are downloaded from the ISP's email server to Mac Mail, the email messages on the ISP's web server are deleted after 30 days or so. She wants to recover all of her email messages currently stored in the Mail app -- inbox folder and some other custom folders.

Thanks

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just to be clear, are all of the (non-deleted) email messages stored in iCloud? She does not use a me.com or iCloud.com email. Her primary email is the one from our ISP (local cable company). I think that after her emails are downloaded from the ISP's email server to Mac Mail, the email messages on the ISP's web server are deleted after 30 days or so. She wants to recover all of her email messages currently stored in the Mail app -- inbox folder and some other custom folders.

Thanks

Then you will need to manually move the messages over. You can either use the Mail export function or just copy the contents of the user ~/Library/Mail folder onto the new machine.

Just open Finder then hit shift-command-g and paste in this path then enter and you will see the data you need.

Code:
~/Library/Mail

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Thanks

Then you will need to manually move the messages over. You can either use the Mail export function or just copy the contents of the user ~/Library/Mail folder onto the new machine.

Just open Finder then hit shift-command-g and paste in this path then enter and you will see the data you need.

Code:
~/Library/Mail

I'm only replying to double back what Weaselboy said. He's correct. Yeah, from a 3rd party email you'll have to manually save the messages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.