Backup before downloading Aperture?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by killwilly, Sep 15, 2013.

1. killwilly macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a Macbook Pro Retina and have been using iPhoto and Canon DPP to process my photographs. However, I now want to purchase Aperture and was wondering if I should backup everything on my computer to an external hard drive before the download, or doesn't it really matter?

I have a Seagate 500gb hard drive which I used on my PC for backup, but will have to format that before using it on the Mac.

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Alan.

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

You should be backing up regardless.

However downloading and installing Aperture should not mess anything up.
    I guess at worst it could cause issues with the current photo library (iPhoto) as by default it will access that library. Though I've not heard of it causing problems before.

3. killwilly thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I have only had the Mac for a couple of weeks and haven't quite got round to formatting the external hard drive yet. I would usually backup every couple of days, but have been busy learning how to use the new system, which I find very different to Windows.

I am quite selective about which photographs I keep, so only have about 1000 at any one time. I have now transferred all of my image folders from Windows over to the Mac, so ready now to give Aperture a try.

4. sadper macrumors newbie

Hi, don't mind me asking. The software can be bought from which store?
    Cos most shop I went dont sell.
    So I just stick to iphoto.

5. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

The latest version of Aperture is only available as a digital download from the Mac App Store which is built into OS 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard) and later.
    Though the current version of Aperture requires 10.7.5.