Backup? Before Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starbuckpga, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Starbuckpga macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2009
    Hey guys quick question. I don't have much data on my new MacBook Pro I bought two months ago. I'm ready to upgrade to Lion, but was curious if I needed to back up my data. I wasn't sure if all settings and current data will stay intact during upgrade, or when I install Lion, it wipes the drive for a clean install of Lion.

Thanks guys!
  2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2008
    Upgrading Mac OS is one of the most painless upgrades you can do. It will automatically preserve all of your data and settings just how they were.

However, I recommend always performing a backup of some kind before upgrading. One never knows what could go wrong...
  3. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    Another post here to hammer home the need to always have a back up, especially when doing any work on your hard drive like upgrading the OS.

As a matter of course you should have a back up anyways but more so before touching the OS
  4. Starbuckpga thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2009
    Both of you guys are correct and always recommended to back up your data. However the data I have installed would not mean anything if I were to lose it during the upgrade. A few pictures here and there, but still have them on the iPhone. I was just curious, but if the upgrade will keep data and settings intact, fine, if not, no big deal.

Thanks guys!