Backup Big iPhoto Libary

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Oliver G, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Oliver G macrumors regular

I have 44,000 iPhoto library and I want to back up this library to an external hard drive but when I try and back it up through iPhoto but after a while one photo cannot be copied because of it's format or something.

Is it possible to just copy the iPhoto library app thing in the pictures folder or is there better or safer way?

2. ChevyAppleJR macrumors newbie

ChevyAppleJR

Yes you should be able to just plug in your external hard drive and drag and drop iphoto and have that backup of everything you currently have. I have done it and ended up with 2 iphoto libraries it was a bit of a pain.

I would suggest using time machine to make a back up of everything and it will update when you make changes I have been using time machine since day one and I tell you it is an a valuable asset that I can't put a price on!!

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd get a large enough external drive if your current one is insufficient and then use time machine or Carbon Copy Cloner. That way you'll back up your entire system.

I use both (on different external drives) so that my aperture library is backed up but I also don't want to lose my documents and/or photoshop files.