Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muflyer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
I am relatively new to Macs and would be grateful for any assistance anyone can lend on this.

I am looking to clear space on my iMac to add Tiger and iLife 06. Since I don't yet have an External HD, I am trying to clear space on my drive by backing up my iMovie files to DVD. Is it possible to burn iMovie projects that are bigger than 4.7 GB (4.3 actually) to DVD-Rs? If so, how? If I do burn to DVDs and need to use more than one, do I just insert multiple discs without losing any data? By dropping the whole project onto a DVD-R, I assume this is in a data disc which won't play the movie, but will preserve all the shots, audio, transitions, etc in the project which can subsequently be imported and used again, if necessary? Thanks as I appreciate any assistance anyone can lend.

muflyer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
Will the dual layers burn in the superdrive in an iMac just like the single layers?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
muflyer said:
Will the dual layers burn in the superdrive in an iMac just like the single layers?

You'll have to check and see if your DVD-R drive will burn dual layer discs. Are you using the 1.25Ghz G4 iMac in your sig? If so, I don't think those came with a dual-layer burner, though I could be wrong. go to System Preferences, choose "ATA", and click on your burner, it should list its specs.

muflyer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
Can I save over multiple discs the data from these files? If so, do I simply drag and drop or do I need to use a certain program to copy and how do I resurrect the data if I need to access it off the discs? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.