Backup & Clean Install Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattportner, Oct 27, 2007.

1. mattportner macrumors member

Okay. I preordered Leopard on Amazon, so it won't be coming until Monday or Tuesday, but I have a question about backup prior to a clean install.

Basically all that i want to save are my applications and my music. Would i be fine just dragging my applications folder and my music folder onto an external hard drive and then back after the leopard clean install.

will i lose my application serial numbers?
    will my itunes songs still be registered?
    will i face any problems?

i've heard that it is suggested to use carbon copy cloner, but i only want to save my applications and my music. nothing else.

thanks.

2. mattportner thread starter macrumors member

does nobody have an answer? ive never upgraded before. i bought my ibook the day tiger came out.

3. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Drag is fine

You can drag you iTunes folder or ANY folder to an external drive and it should be ok when you drag them back if you have to. If you do the archive and install or if you do not have room do the update. This is not your father's windows so you do not have to erase and install. In which case your backup would be a just in case something went wrong and you had to erase and install.

I did the upgrade and my MBP is faster then with the previous cat; if it was not I would have done the erase and install. It is so darned hard to unlearn the methods that MS imposed on us. This Mac world is just that different. Good luck.:apple:

4. mattportner thread starter macrumors member