Backup Contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mom333, Sep 29, 2011.

1. mom333 macrumors regular

My husband and I share our itunes account. I have been unable to figure out how to sync our contacts separately. It always says syncing contacts will erase the other persons, so I always uncheck to syn contacts.

Assuming I get new iphones for us next month, how can I back up both of our contacts, or will they be saved on our SIMs?

2. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

Contacts are not saved to the SIM on an iPhone. As far as contacts are concerned, you might need to use different applications to save them. I do that with mine and my wife's phone. I use my Outlook, since I do everything on my computer for work. I use Windows Contacts for her. It is a bit of a pain when syncing, since I have to change that each time I go to sync. I get a warning when I do it (can't remember it exactly) but it hasn't affected either of our phones.

Since the use of web based OTA contact managers like Google are more popular, it might be something you would want to look into. You could have two different accounts there to do that, and still have the same iTunes account. Not syncing contacts so they can be saved to the computer and not just the iPhone is dangerous, in case something happens to the iPhone.

3. mom333 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks CMS Chris

Thanks CMS Chris. I'll look into your suggestions. It's always bothered me that it's not backed up. :(

4. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

There is always the possibility to create an additional log in for the other iPhone. The only problem would be making sure you have the same iTunes information available for that iPhone. You would also have to make sure you created a dummy contact and calendar event on the new login so it would trigger the merge command rather than risk it deleting all of the contacts currently on the iPhone.

5. aztooh macrumors 6502a

If you don't have a gmail account, set one up. Then set it up on your phone as an 'exchange account'. Search the web for instructions if you need to. OTA is the way to go.

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Are you on a Mac? You can create a separate user account and you both can backup your contacts to each account's address book.