Backup Data Jailbreak with iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrockm01, May 19, 2011.

1. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

I have an iPhone 4 and am considering jailbreaking once my warranty expires near the end of June. I am very "protective" of my data and sync/backup frequently to prevent losing any data. One of my biggest concerns deals with the backup of data when syncing with iTunes AFTER jailbreaking it. Will syncing with iTunes back up all of the important data on the phone (text messages, contacts, phone calls etc.) like a non-jailbroken iphone? Would any additional items be backed up?

Besides this, there are no reasons I can see to not jailbreak. I do not want to change a lot, but look forward to maybe using SBSetings, 3G unrestrictor, MyWi (or similar), and possibly BiteSMS (which could not be backed up, correct?)

I thank you all for your input

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes normal itunes funcions including backups work the same

3. phill50 macrumors newbie

it will all sync the same.. them four apps you named are why i love my jailbroke iphone..

4. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Backuping up a jailbroken phone will backup just fine but remember, iTunes DOES NOT backup the jailbroken apps, data etc.

Let's say your iPhone crashed and you restore it from backup.

iTunes will pull down the latest firmware available from Apple, install it and then it will reinstate all of the apps you had before, settings, email accounts, photos etc.

But, it will not re-jailbreak your phone and then reinstate your SBSettings and other tweaks/apps you got from Cydia.

Go to Cydia, search for xBackup (it's only a $1.50 if I recall correctly) and use that to make a backup of your jailbreak tweaks.

So again, let's say your iPhone crashes, you do the stuff I mentioned above and then you jailbreak it again using for example redsn0w, then you go to Cydia, download the xBackup again (don't have to pay for it this time since Cydia already has you registered that you paid for the item) and then you restore your jailbreak apps and tweak from within xBackup.

It's not that complicated but it's what's necessary, and since you say your very protective of your data then I'm sure you'll want to know this.

5. mrockm01 thread starter macrumors regular

mrockm01

Thank you so much! So with iTunes + xBackup it will be identical to the latest backup? Would this include all the app settings as well (like BiteSMS messages?)

If so that is a game-changer.

The reason I asked this question was because I Jailbroke my old 3G and every time I would sync, I would get an alert saying a problem had occurred.

Attached Files:

6. phill50 macrumors newbie

i use pkgbackup and identical, NO.. 80% success on the jailbreak apps..

i have a couple of kids that have put a ton of apps from cydia on there phone and with few problems but from time to time you will have to do some research on some kind of error or restore problem..

7. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Yes, restoring from the iTunes backup plus xBackup will have everything the same as it was before you restored anything - regular App Store apps and jailbreak apps/tweaks.

I don't use BiteSMS so can't be 100% sure, but it should restore the messages.

As for the pic you posted, I haven't had that problem so I don't know.

Try restoring with the latest iOS software (even though the iPhone 3G doesn't handle iOS 4.x.x. and up that well), maybe updating iTunes

8. mrockm01 thread starter macrumors regular

mrockm01

I am not as concerned about the 3G, I only use it as an iPod to play music and jailbroke it to use the multitouch gestures instead of the home button.

As long as that message in iTunes does not happen to everyone, it is safe to say that consistent failure to back up is not a widespread issue.

9. YaBoiD macrumors regular

YaBoiD

Post-JB Battery Life?

I want to JB also but just install BiteSMS and LockInfo. How is battery life after JB'ing? Is it the same as stock battery life? :confused: TIA

10. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Why would you wait till your warranty is void? I would buy Apple Care and jailbreak. It doesn't void your warranty, if you crack your iPhone you can just restore it to remove your Jailbreak.

11. mrockm01 thread starter macrumors regular

mrockm01

I always thought that apple voided the warranty for jailbroken iPhones? I know people restore before bringing it in, but what if it is damaged beyond that point...

Either way, it is only a month so I can wait to be sure nothing happens

12. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

If it's damaged beyond that point they are bound to replace the logic board and the hard drive. Therefore the jailbreak will be removed. When my black 32GB had a crack and wouldn't boot, it was jailbroken with SBsettings. The apple store had to WIPE it and put a new logic board and Hard drive. Don't worry too much, if you want a warranty that covers jailbroken and non-jailbroken and ALL types of liquid and accidental damage then look into Zagg warranty.

13. mrockm01 thread starter macrumors regular

mrockm01

Okay, thank you for your input. I heard they are getting better at detecting jail broken phones though. Does anyone know if this is true? Maybe if possible, have a few days of non-JB use before bringing it in for cosmetic issues.

14. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

There was a glitch in iBooks a couple of months ago where I believe you couldn't launch or update iBooks if you had a jailbroken phone but that was some time ago now, so I don't really remember.

I don't think they have an efficient way of detecting a jailbreak, especially if you restore it with iTunes. The firmware is as good as any other firmware on any other un-jailbroken iPhone.

15. vintageapple macrumors member

vintageapple

This was the exact question I have been looking for, thanks so much. Anyone know if there is a 4.33 jailbreak out there?

16. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

so how does xbackup compare to the other cydia backup apps? like pkgbackup or aptbackup something?

17. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Yes, redsn0w can jailbreak 4.3.3. and it's untethered so it's as good as it can get

18. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

It's easy to use I guess, you literally open the xBackup app and click backup in the top right corner and that's it. Plus, it's only $1.50.

I haven't used the other two so I wouldn't know what their pros and cons would be