Backup Drive acting up

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rsnacks, Mar 20, 2013.

1. rsnacks macrumors newbie

The Backup drive on my Mac Pro is showing that it is nearly full (800+gb/1tb) but when I open the drive, there is on folder in it with less than 1mb of data in it. I have used Omnidisk to see if that would manage to see the hidden information, but to no avail. Has this happened to anyone? I have no idea whats going on. Thanks in advance!

2. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Open DiskUtility, click "Repair Disk", and tell us what happens.

3. rsnacks thread starter macrumors newbie

I have already tried repairing the disk. Didn't fix it.

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Repartition the disk and start again. It's a backup, so you will not lose any data by deleting it -- and it doesn't sound like it's been backing up successfully anyway.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You could try Disk Warrior to rebuild the drive. I've used it to redo a lot of broken drives to get data off. But if it's a pure backup drive, perhaps it's best to wipe it and start again.

6. DPUser macrumors 6502a

Do you really want to trust your backups to a flakey drive? Buy a new one (or, even better, two)and back up before it's too late.

7. rsnacks thread starter macrumors newbie

8. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Sounds like

a pending hard drive that is about to fail. I would get a new drive and use CCC to backup your stuff.. If that drive goes, you will be screwed, ROYALLY! Driver Savers, while a data recovery service, is not the cheapest out there and depending on how much data you have it could number in the 1000s of dollars to recover it.

GET A NEW HARD DRIVE while there is still time. Get Voltans Smart Utility and check the drive. If its failing, get a new drive immediately.