Backup Drive: Internal or External?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sneak3, Nov 22, 2015.

1. sneak3 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, how are you all doing?

I have a macbook pro and I'm thinking whether I should upgrade my 500GB SSD to a 1TB SSD in order to have space for a SECOND backup solution, internally. I already have a 1TB drive with a carbon copy cloner image and a winclone image.

My setup right now 500GB split into OSX and bootcamp currently. If I added another 500GB with the 1TB drive, I could leave time machine (for OSX) and a macrium image (for windows bootcamp) stored there.

However, upgrading the SSD will set me back double what I'd need to spend on a regular external 2TB portable HDD...

What do you think? Is it worth having a second backup solution? And more importantly, is it worth keeping that in an internal drive?
    Thanks!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It's worth having a second back up solution, just not internally.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Makes no sense to run a backup internally. If you lose, break, or have the laptop stolen, your backup is worthless. Get an external drive. All the internal backup gives you is versioning, i.e., wanting to revert a document back to a prior version.

4. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, that makes sense. So since I've already have an external backup, is it worth upgrading the SSD to have versioning (and a possible second back up, in case the first backup in the external drive fails)
    OR
    upgrade the external HDD in order to have 2 external backup solutions, like CCC and Time Machine (on the same drive)?

5. Samuelsan2001, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Not on the same drive no.

You currently have your primary drive in your computer and an external back up, if either one goes down for whatever reason you can replace using the other drive.

For second backup option to be worth the effort you need it on a third drive. I would reccomend a NAS storage option with a partion for a second back up and one for files that you would just want to stream in your house (media files archived files etc). This gives you more space at home leaving your computer and external drive free for stuff you need with you and a back up in a separate place away from your computer and external drive should the worst happen.

7. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh thanks. Now that makes a lotta sense. I'll think about that.

8. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

As others have said, adding an internal backup drive is an excellent way to:

- Squander money
    - Add weight to your laptop
    - Reduce battery life
    - Reduce airflow and increase heat, thereby reducing longevity
    - Slightly reduce system performance

All this, while having almost no appreciable impact on data reliability or availability.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

An internal backup is next to useless.

What if you drop your laptop and both drives die?
    Liquid spill and both drives die?
    Electrical short and both drives die?
    Laptops gets lost or stolen, neither drive is available, you've now lost everything forever.

Buy an external, for sure.

10. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I think, from reading the OP carefully, the plan is to replace the existing internal 500 Gb SSD with 1 Tb SSD. Not to have 2 internal drives.

I do agree that having a internal backup is not beneficial and risky for loss, as stated by other posters. It would be better to save the expense of a 1 Tb SSD and get 2 external solutions which will be a better backup plan and might be less money.