Backup Drive System Suggestions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ryanschude, May 18, 2013.

1. ryanschude macrumors newbie

I am looking for a 2 bay backup drive system that allows me to remove the drives when they are full and replace with new ones. The simpler the better as I am not familiar with what RAID is for, I just want to drag my files onto one drive and have it automatically copy the files to the second drive without me manually needing to make sure they are identical. I am not worried about speed nor need to do this remotely. Any suggestions?

2. CaptHenryMorgan, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013

CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

Ha ha ha. Oh, you were serious. I wouldn't trust Drobo with my data if they paid me to put my stuff on one. OP, get yourself a toaster, a copy of CarbonCopy Cloner, and a few cheap drives and call it a day. No better way to do backups IMHO.

Edited to reflect opinion, not fact. Feel better now mobilehaathi?

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Do you always present opinion as fact?

4. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

I'm sorry, I forgot to add "IMHO".

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You're a remarkably derisive fellow. Did I do something to you or is this your normal state?

6. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

Nah, just my jolly nature.

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

RAID stand for Redundant Array of Independent Disks. There are many types of RAID, but RAID 0 and 1 are easy to understand.

RAID 0: Uses multiple hard drives and they act as one. Data is written across all of the hard drives. So you might have half a file one disk and the other half on the other, but the two halves get written the same time, thus decreasing the write and time and increases speed.

RAID 1: Mirrors two hard drives at the same time. So if one fails you still have a back up copy left of your data.

That's the basic idea there, if I'm incorrect of the technical details, please correct me. :)

But it sounds like a RAID 1 set up might be idea for you. You can get external hard drives that are set up to be used as RAID 1 or 0. For example, Western Digital makes some HDs with two HDs in the enclosure. So if it's a 2TB drive, you can use it as a 1TB RAID 1 or 2TB RAID 0. The drive would have two 1TB HDs inside, so RAID 1 using "half" of the storage and mirrors one HD to the other. Whereas RAID 0 would use both HDs as one 2TB drive.

Hope that makes sense.

Read this RAID Wiki for more info and visuals of how they work under comparison