Backup eating up my SDD storage space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carl0sian, Jan 11, 2012.

1. carl0sian macrumors regular

I have a 2011 late edition Macbook pro 17". I got a 256gb SSD HD installed in to. A week ago, I bought myself a 3TB time capsule. Everything is working fine. Time capsule makes back ups every hour. When I go hardware storage info after clicking on "About this Mac", I now notice that there 200gb worth of my precious SSD storage space being filled by something called "Backup". What is going on here? All my backups are going to the time capsule and I delete large files to free up storage space on SSD. Help!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For space issues, there are a few things you can try:
    • Begin by restarting your computer as a first step. This sometimes resolves issues.
    • Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
      [​IMG]
    • For Time Machine users on Lion, Time Machine local snapshots may be consuming space.
    • Use OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.

3. carl0sian thread starter macrumors regular

GGJstudios, thanks for the reply. i ran those CleanmyMac and DiskSweeper. They both gave me similar data in regards files taking up space. It doesn't add up to 200gb that the system is giving me. I couldn't find any files over 50gb either. No clue!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you notice the bolded text of my post, that directly relates to backups? Also, as the last point says, you should try the different apps I listed, as they don't all show the same thing.

Also, I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

My best recommendation is that you uninstall it.

5. carl0sian thread starter macrumors regular

GGJstudios, thanks for the reply again. Read the local snap shots link you sent me. Makes sense but is there a way to turn it off without turning off the TimeMachine? I guess Macbook Pro owners gets screwed with this feature.

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

It can be turned off through Terminal. I can't remember the exact statement at the moment, but I searched on google or this forum and it was revealed. I would help with that but on the phone at the moment and it is much harder than when on the MBP. I have turned them off on my for the same reason you want to. The recommended is to not turn them off and Apple will free space as needed, but with a small SSD I need everything I can get and didn't want to hope it cleared things correctly, and if not enough free space, got pop up notifications and such.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As it says in the link I posted:

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

No, they are not getting screwed. It works as intended. The local snapshots get deleted after a a week, and sooner if the space is required. That is why the space is reported as "available" if you right click your Macintosh HD and select "Get Info."

If you don't like the feature, I think there is a way to turn off the local snapshots without turning time machine on/off all the time. Search the forum, or wait for theSeb post the correct command here.

9. carl0sian thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I read that from your post and from the Apple website. I want to keep my Time Machine On without having it hog up my HD space by leaving image copies on it.

10. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

So, I guess I'm about to encounter this as well. I have a 1TB TC and I'm finishing up tidying up my SSD and HDD. Then, I will turn on my TC. I have 256GB SSD and 500GB HDD. I'm storing most of my system files on the SSD and music/photos on HDD. Hopefully it won't consume all my free space.

11. carl0sian thread starter macrumors regular

thanks. will this command effect my hourly time capsule backups? its working great (After going through a mission setting it up due to WD Smartware software being installed on my Mac). So i don't want to mess up anything with time capsule backups.

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

13. bdodds1985, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

what is the command to resume local snapshots
    (not for me, i hate it too)

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

sudo tmutil enablelocal