Backup for external hard drive similar to time machine?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by argo063, Jun 16, 2012.

1. argo063 macrumors member

Hey People

Looking for a backup program for mac, For my external hard drive. i use time machine for my mac what is great interface and software. is there any similar ones out there for external hard drives ? if it could be free that could be great.

THanks

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

One more recommendation for CarbonCopyCloner.

It will prove far more useful to you than will Time Machine.

CCC creates a "clone" backup of your internal drive -- it's fully bootable and it's in POFF (plain ol' finder format) -- just connect your external, and a copy of your internal drive mounts right on your desktop, with any and all files immediately visible and accessible.

You can boot from it as well. If something goes wrong with your internal, getting up and running is as simple as plugging in the external and "switch booting":
    - press restart
    - hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN
    - you'll see what to do next.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Time Machine can also back up your external drive, btw, if I'm correctly interpreting what you want to do. It's excluded by default, but you can go into the Time Machine preferences and remove it from the exclude list and it will be backed up as well. That assumes it's not the Time Machine backup drive you are trying to get a second backup of, in which case I also recommend Carbon Copy Cloner.

jW

4. argo063 thread starter macrumors member

Yer Seen Carbon Copy Cloner and using at the moment. it ok. i just like the interface of time Machine. when you have to find a missing file it easy.

5. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Chronosync. Gives you full and incremental features like Time Machine but also the option to create bootable drives like Caron Copy. And it has a background scheduler that can run hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, whenever, behind the scenes without you even thinking about it. And you can create backup sets pointing to different external drives or to network locations. Been using it for years to backup the home iTunes library and shared network folders.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie