Backup from 3gs to 2g iPhone.. help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by skoolboimatt, Nov 20, 2010.

1. skoolboimatt macrumors newbie

Hi I hope someone can help....

I had an iPhone 3GS 32gb and lost it... don't laugh.. an absolute nightmare :mad:
    I've got another year left on my vodafone contract and managed to get them to send a new sim which I have put in my my original 2g iPhone 8gb. My plan was to use this 2g iPhone over the next few weeks whilst I work out what to do (would love to buy an iPhone4 now but prices I've been quoted are truly horrific!)

My problem... i want to do a backup through itunes so I can get my contacts etc from my most recent backup (last month). Unfortunately itunes is showing the most recent backup available to me is from Feb 10... bad times!

Is there any way of using this backup from the 3gs iPhone and installing it on my 2g iPhone?

Also what is the best firmware to run my 2g iPhone? It is currently unlocked/jailbroken at the mo on 3.1.

Thanks in advance for any help. Matt

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

3.1.3 would be the best (and last) iOS for the 2G. The only way I could see it work, if the 3GS was on 3.1. Other than that I have no idea.

3. skoolboimatt thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

cheers for the reply. my 3GS was on 4.1 or whatever was the latest when I last updated a month ago.

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You can try syncing from the 3gs back up. Just don't install the apps.

5. skoolboimatt thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

The 3GS backup won't install as it's not on the drop down list in iTunes... the latest one available to me in iTunes is from Feb. The only way I found out I had a backup from a month ago was looking at the backup file in finder.