Backup from Air to Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hokinabru, Sep 13, 2013.

1. hokinabru macrumors newbie

Is it possible to use my Time Machine backup from my MAcbook Air and restore it on a new Macbook Pro Retina?

I dont want to use Migration assistant because then I will have to re-download all my non-apple apps like the Adobe Suite.

EDIT: Also, if I do a full clone, Will my Retina then think it is a Air?

2. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Migration assistant will clone all your programs as well. I just did this today in fact, from my macbook air to my retina.

All installed programs (even non apple) were moved seamlessly from my Air to my Retina. I recommend using a thunderbolt cable, as it will go MUCH faster than wifi.

See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Yes it is possible, I restored my mac mini onto my macbook pro with no issue. ALL my data was transferred over, programs and all.

4. hokinabru thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I was reading on other forums and they stated otherwise. Now if the Retina refresh would happen already....

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Restoring (versus Migration Assistant) or even cloning is not going to get around this issue. No matter what you do, the Adobe apps will see you are on different hardware than what was originally registered and you will need to reenter your Adobe products serial numbers.

Adobe will see the UUID has changed and put the smack down on you. :(

You can see the UUID for your machine in this screen in System Report.

[​IMG]

I would just use Migration Assistant.