Backup Hard Drive Decision For Time Machine Only

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by trevtech, May 6, 2010.

1. trevtech macrumors newbie

This is probably splitting hairs, but I'll ask anyways....

I'd like to add a backup HD to my Mac Pro. Not with the intention of doing a RAID set up, but rather just for Time Machine.

The two drives in my line of sight are the...

WD Caviar Green 1T
    ( http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=763 )

and the....

Hitachi Desk Star 7K1000.C
    ( http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/products/deskstar/7K1000.C/ )

I know there's the Caviar Black, as well,, that has a 5 year warranty as opposed to each of the above's 3 year. But I hear its on the loud side, and since it won't be running much more than every other week I don't see the need for the added performance. But perhaps the 5 year warranty alone is worth it.

I'm also aware that the Caviar Green will spin at 54K, and that Hitachi is at 72K.

Again, the intent and purpose is to be that of a backup HD.

I have a friend that works in Google's server R&D department that swears by Hitachi (based on their excessive testing standards). But I have no experience with Hitachi. So I'm looking for a few more real world stories on what you all are currently experiencing. My main concern is which will be the least problematic over the long haul.

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S. I am not interested in Seagate's, nor Samsung's.

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Go with the fastest drive you can buy and besides if its only running once a week then the loudness factor doesn't really matter.

3. trevtech thread starter macrumors newbie

Its to be a backup HD. Speed is not important.

Do you have experience with either of the drives I've mentioned?

4. cutterman macrumors regular

I replaced my TM drive with the 1TB Caviar Green. Works fine, no issues, very quiet.

Agree on the comment about speed. The TM interface wont break 7MB/s on my gigabit backbone. It's a waste of money to use a fast drive. Better off with a power saving device.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

I've not had the best experiences with Hitachi's recent consumer models (or their customer service), so I'd have to vote for the WD, even though it's a bit slower (speed's not the primary consideration, but reliability is IMO).

6. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

And whatever you end up ordering, make sure to read customer reviews on the website from which you're ordering. Sometimes retailers (I know this happened with Amazon for awhile) use shipping methods that result in damage to the drive.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Definitely.

Poor packaging increases the chance of DOA products when it's in the hands of the Gorilla squadron... err... UPS employees ... :eek: :D :p I've had much better results with FedEx over UPS by far as well, even with the same packing materials - mostly paper rather than foam peanuts, air bags, or lots of bubble wrap.

But to me, the first line of defense is proper packing and materials (newegg and their brown paper .... GRRR :mad:). ;)

8. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

9. trevtech thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Go for green drives, who cares about speed for back-ups?

Also, check the price difference for a WD green 1TB and 2TB. Shop around, the 2TB are often on sale. Picked up one for 115$ (in Canada).

Loa

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

As I understand it, not all of newegg's warehouses use the brown paper, and others indicated the CA location doesn't use it.

But the stuff I've gotten (TX and TN warehouse locations IIRC), used the paper. :( I've hunted for more detail, but haven't found it so far.

The cheapest 2TB version I found is just under $140USD (here).

12. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa