Backup HD-DVDs to My Mac w/ 360 Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by geerlingguy, Apr 28, 2008.

1. geerlingguy macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

I have an Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive, and it works great with my MacBook Pro. I plug it into the USB port, and my MacBook Pro can even recognize HD-DVDs (it gives the 'HD DVD' icon).

I was wondering if there's any way to backup my HD-DVD collection to my external hard drive, so I can watch them on the road (I'll be gone all summer without my xbox 360).

If need be, I also have Parallels and could possibly try something on Windows, but I'd like to do it on my Mac. I've heard about a program called BackupHDDVD, but I don't know much about it.

2. geerlingguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

Well, nobody's responded, so I thought I'd just put in here all the steps I've gone through so far - I'm *almost* there...

I ripped the DVD by using Parallels (running Windows XP Pro), with a program called AnyDVD HD. I just fired up the program, then copied the "HVDVD_TS" folder from the HD DVDs to my hard drive.

Then I used a bunch of freeware utilities for Windows only to demux the streams into the audio/video files. Then I converted the video file to an MP4-compatible file, and the audio to an AAC-compatible format. Finally, I muxed the streams back together, and while they open in QuickTime (using Perian), I'm unable to get any sound, and the playback is choppy (likely because it's 1080p video, which is already higher resolution than my 1440x900 monitor can handle!).

So I'm trying different settings on both streams... I hope to get this setup running so I can future-proof my HD-DVD collection.